r129 sl500 brakes on a w202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lars-mad

Car
1996 c180 2.0 1995 C180 AMG 1988 190e 2.3 1989 230CE with facelift
Hello i got a set of brake calipters from a sl500 1992 can they be used on a w202 c200? want to be sure before buying new discs

Can they? Yes, you can make them fit with sufficient work. There were 202s that used the same caliper IIRC (C36) so there is at least a hub carrier that works. Whether that's different to the hub carrier you have I couldn't tell you without more research.

Should they? That's a different matter. You need to sit down and work out the relative master cylinder and caliper volume ratios, and how they will change with the new calipers. Also changes in the disc diameter and the consquent change in braking torque relative to the rear. It's not just a case of slapping them on and everything being fine, there's a considerable amount of maths to work out unless you just want it to look "good" and don't care whether it stops like a pile of sh*t.

Can they? Yes, you can make them fit with sufficient work. There were 202s that used the same caliper IIRC (C36) so there is at least a hub carrier that works. Whether that's different to the hub carrier you have I couldn't tell you without more research.

Should they? That's a different matter. You need to sit down and work out the relative master cylinder and caliper volume ratios, and how they will change with the new calipers. Also changes in the disc diameter and the consquent change in braking torque relative to the rear. It's not just a case of slapping them on and everything being fine, there's a considerable amount of maths to work out unless you just want it to look "good" and don't care whether it stops like a pile of sh*t.
understand...
I want it to look good and maybe stop a little bit better have seen this mod been done on several 201 cars but never on a 202 got all 4 calipters

Hello i got a set of brake calipters from a sl500 1992 can they be used on a w202 c200? want to be sure before buying new discs
Hi did you end up using the callipers?
Thanks

Might be worth checking the insurance implications of DIY brake mods?

Might be worth checking the insurance implications of DIY brake mods?
I’ve always wondered how tight they are when it comes to things like this. Would the insurance company know it’s a mod if they are a Mercedes part?

For example my 202 came with 16” wheels out of factory but the chap I bought it off had some replica wheels on it and I’ve now changed them for some 17” monoblocks.

Yes it is a modification but do they go as far as checking the spec sheet?

I’ve never heard of anyone I know having any issues personally.

"Stop a little bit better"

If you can already activate the ABS on your W202, even putting brakes from a Formula One car on it won't make it stop one centimetre shorter. You still have the same coefficient of friction between tyre and road (which is what actually does the braking), and that won't change with a different caliper. You may well end up needing to push the pedal further and harder to achieve the same braking effect you already have.

As well as Doodle's excellent points in post 2, have you considered the effect a heavier caliper will have on unsprung weight, and hence on comfort and handling?

I’ve always wondered how tight they are when it comes to things like this. Would the insurance company know it’s a mod if they are a Mercedes part?

For example my 202 came with 16” wheels out of factory but the chap I bought it off had some replica wheels on it and I’ve now changed them for some 17” monoblocks.

Yes it is a modification but do they go as far as checking the spec sheet?

I’ve never heard of anyone I know having any issues personally.

It's only likely to be a problem if you're involved in an accident and there's a significant claim involved. They would then send an engineer out to go over the car with a fine tooth comb, so it would depend really how good/experienced they were. My ex father in law was chief motor engineer for a big UK insurance company, and in charge of their team of engineers. They were pretty hot and he used to tell me stories of all the things they found when doing inspections!

It's only likely to be a problem if you're involved in an accident and there's a significant claim involved. They would then send an engineer out to go over the car with a fine tooth comb, so it would depend really how good/experienced they were. My ex father in law was chief motor engineer for a big UK insurance company, and in charge of their team of engineers. They were pretty hot and he used to tell me stories of all the things they found when doing inspections!
Ok I’ll defo keep that in mind! Thanks mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom