R129 SL500 door components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sye73

Please can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the component speakers are in the doors of my SL? I would like to upgrade these without altering the standard apertures......
Has anyone changed their speakers and added an amplifier? Any pointers greatly appreciated

sye73 said:
Please can anyone tell me what the dimensions of the component speakers are in the doors of my SL? I would like to upgrade these without altering the standard apertures......
Has anyone changed their speakers and added an amplifier? Any pointers greatly appreciated

Youu can fit 3 way components. The bass speakers is 6.5 inch, the mids are 4 inch and a 1 inch tweeter.

I had a set of Focal speakers run by a Genesis amp in my SL.

Thanks KLP92.
Did you do the install yourself, and were you happy with the results ?

Is there anyone else that has upgraded their SL door speakers ? Really looking for some guidance here !

Would like to bring this back to the top......
I am hoping to hear from someone who has upgraded the component speakers in the front doors of their r129 SL. Specifically, I am hoping to find out what kind of mounting depth I have available before I choose my new ones.
Thanks

Why don't you just take the door cards off? It's very easy - takes 10 minutes.

Yeah, I know that is the obvious thing to do but a) I dont know how to, and b) I dont want to risk breaking plastic clips etc. These small kind of jobs usually ends up with something breaking....

Well to change the speakers you'll need to remove them anyway - I posted a video on how to do it here. Remember to use a thin plastic wedge and get close to the door card clips when prying the door card off.

Makes sense to me - the plastic clips are pennies each anyway - might as well take the door cards off now and if you need to buy some more fit them with the new speakers? :)

That video is a very good guide - I think you've got some good advice there ;)

Will

The clips do break but they are also very cheap to replace - what you need to remember is that the clips are held by a moulded design of the door card - if you put the wedge between the clip and card you can tear the door card as they're only glued in place - feel where they are and move to the side slightly.

appreciate your help guys. To be honest, I was going to get the speakers installed professionally, If clips were broken etc, then the shop would have to replace them. I'll take a look at the vid all the same
Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom