r129 SL500 exhaust - Imasaf replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
My centre box is badly rusted and squeaks a lot and I have found some some Imasaf exhaust but they all state they are for the SL320 or SL 280 and not for the SL500.

The part number for my R129 is A1294900221 which is 1 piece while the Imasaf have separate centre and back boxes.
I did enquire with some exhaust companies last year but they all quoted well north of £1k and am not willing to pay that much.

Does anyone know if the Imasaf items would fit a R129 1997 SL500?

Thanks

I had the centre box on mine removed and replaced by a straight pipe (stainless steel). It only made a tiny difference to the sound, and the cost was around £300.

I had the centre box on mine removed and replaced by a straight pipe (stainless steel). It only made a tiny difference to the sound, and the cost was around £300.

Maybe that is what I will do. Once it is safe to venture out again I will contact local exhaust company and see if they can do that for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had everything cat-back replaced on my 1994 SL500 with a stainless steel 'sports' back box. It sounded absolutely marvellous - a deep boom, like a real old-style V8 should. It wasn't stupidly loud or droning, either. Any custom exhaust fitter should be able to knock something up in stainless steel for you at a reasonable price.

If you want to keep the car original, it wouldn't do, of course, but otherwise, anyone who doesn't like the sound has no soul...

Reactions: 219
My centre box is badly rusted and squeaks a lot and I have found some some Imasaf exhaust but they all state they are for the SL320 or SL 280 and not for the SL500.

The part number for my R129 is A1294900221 which is 1 piece while the Imasaf have separate centre and back boxes.
I did enquire with some exhaust companies last year but they all quoted well north of £1k and am not willing to pay that much.

Thanks

Is this it?
EBERSPÄCHER 23.590.80

I think AutoDoc lists this as MERCEDES-BENZ OE-1294900221.

R

Is this it?
EBERSPÄCHER 23.590.80

R

Is this it?
EBERSPÄCHER 23.590.80

R

Yes that is the same. Instead of supplying 1 whole unit like I currently have it is Now 2 parts. Middle and end box. You can join them together but whether it fits. Just looked on the details and says not compatible with the 5 litre engines

b62574122d502931449542990a9a79da.jpg

I think I will go with btb500 suggestion of replacing mid box with some stainless steel pipes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try and do a before and after video so we can hear the difference :)

Since buying my one, i find that it's not as loud as it should be - just very smooth.....

IIRC Mercedes dropped the centre silencer when they went from the M119 to M113 ('99 model year), so it's not an outrageous thing to do.

In standard form the M119 setup is very quiet unless you floor it ... which is not so good IMHO. Over time I've made 3 changes to the exhaust system on mine:

1. Rear box replaced with an AMG one. This was cosmetic ... the twin chrome tailpipes look great :D It was a horrendously expensive option on the SL500 (and SL60) but I managed to find one cheap in Germany.
2. Centre muffler removed. As mentioned this only made a slight difference to the sound, with no bad side-effects at all.
3. Replaced the catalytic converter with 200-cell 'sports' ones. Again, only a slight increase in sound, no problems.

The car has been in this state for almost 7 years now and is serviced and MOT'd at a main dealer (MB Guildford), with no issues at all ... in fact I had a call from them asking if I'd be willing to sell it :D The sound is still pretty restrained and very quiet when cruising. For insurance it's just a question of declaring "exhaust: modified/non-standard", which has never caused any problems.

tips.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

[QUOTE="BTB 500, post:
For insurance it's just a question of declaring "exhaust: modified/non-standard", which has never caused any problems.

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately it isn't always as clear cut as that as some companies have a no-modifications stance. Only way to he sure is to check beforehand

[QUOTE="BTB 500, post:
For insurance it's just a question of declaring "exhaust: modified/non-standard", which has never caused any problems.

Unfortunately it isn't always as clear cut as that as some companies have a no-modifications stance. Only way to he sure is to check beforehand[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I am with Hastings but they are running a skeleton service right now. I will ask them when things are back to (new) normal and I am actually in a position to go ahead with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="BTB 500, post:

Unfortunately it isn't always as clear cut as that as some companies have a no-modifications stance. Only way to he sure is to check beforehand[/QUOTE]
One can always change insurers if yours want to be awkward . Plenty more fish in the sea .

Unfortunately it isn't always as clear cut as that as some companies have a no-modifications stance. Only way to he sure is to check beforehand

For sure. I use 'compare the market' though and get loads of quotes back every year, including plenty from 'majors' - that's with both the exhaust and non-standard AMG wheels declared. Currently with LV.

Thanks
I also need an exhaust for my SL320 so have done quite a bit of searching and now have a quote from Powerflow.co.uk at £500 + Vat to replace 'cat back' as they say in stainless steel so take a look at their site and if you enter your reg and VIN they will get back to you with a quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom