R129 SL500 restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PHAB

Car
1999 SL600 Sport
Hi everyone, having done a lot of work on my SL600 (documented elsewhere on this forum) I was asked by a friend to find and "restore" an R129 SL500 for him. By restore it was a case of fix everything that needs fixing mechanically and also cosmetically for it to be one of the best in the land.

Here is a brief overview in pictures of the journey, I though it might be of interest, especially as the values of decent R129s seem to be going up at the moment.

The candidate I chose was a 1999 SL500 in azurite blue on cream. 65,000 miles and a keen MB club previous owner. I took a punt on the car and essentially bought it blind on description and assurances. Took a one way flight from London to Newcastle and bought the car and drove it back down. The journey was absolutely pain free and the car felt very good. No regrets. Phew.

IMAG0215.jpg

Just arrived home after 300 trouble free miles. HUGE difference in fuel economy between the 500 and the 600. Really thought the guage was playing up!

IMAG0278.jpg

In good company. Very different cars and both wonderful in their own ways.

IMAG0220.jpg

Work underway. Discs had just been replaced and wheel bearings were fine. Hence a case of all new bushes, arms, ball joints front and rear and a lot of wire brushing, kurusting and painting. Other work included new engine mounts, new front suspension top mounts, full service and inc plug change and new bonnet pad.

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

A lifetime in a wet climate had definitely taken its toll. Fortunately the bodywork was fine and rust free. Structural components needed surface rust removed, kurusted and painted.

IMG_20150812_WA0024.jpg

Rear camber arm broke clean in two when being removed....Ive never seen this before, pretty shocking. Just goes to show...check the suspension properly when buying any car!! It may "feel" ok when its actually very definitely not ok!

So with the car mechanically spot on and after a laser wheel alignment attention turned to cosmetics

Wheel_Before.jpg

Wheels before. I like this design but only if they are done right!

Wheel_after.jpg

Lepsons to the rescue. Diamond cut face with OEM Mercedes badge caps. They look great with the dark blue paintwork.

IMG_20150810_WA0018.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

Deep clean of roof with Renovo. Twice over with the cleaner, re colour and re-waterproof.

IMAG0272.jpg

Loads more elbow grease and autosol needed to get tidy up the chrome roof mechanism that was looking pretty sorry

IMAG0273.jpg

Getting there.....

IMAG0283.jpg

Amazing what a lot of elbow grease and the right products will do for a beige interior that was looking pretty yellowed and nasty before work began.

IMAG0276.jpg

Anyone with the beige leather in the R129 will have the dirt / grille combination. The only way to cure this is to remove them, soak with a decent fabric cleanser - I use surfex - and GENTLY pressure wash. This goes for a lot of removable interior items.

Unfortunately the paint was one area where the car was beyond elbow grease. Id usually spend a day or two on the rotary polisher bringing back dulled and scratched paint but in this case it had been repainted so badly (think lacquer over badges bubbling all over the place) on so many panels that the only solution was a fresh start. This is where this post will stop because having stripped the car as well as possible it has been sent off for an end to end respray....watch this space!

IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg
IMAG0325.jpg

happy to answer any questions about any of it!

Great post, the car looks pretty good in the first picture!

You obviously have previous experience with these cars, how difficult is it pulling the suspension components apart? I've always done my own servicing to the engine and brakes, but never attempted anything on the suspension side of things. Are all the rubber bush components replaceable, or do you need to buy the full assembly (I'm thinking of wishbones and the like)?

I'll be following your thread with interest ;)

Looks like a great project :)

Only one question I have though - surely it would've made sense to get the respray out of the way before tackling stuff like deep cleaning the interior trim, soft top and new bonnet pad? I would be concerned that sanding dust and overspray will get into everything - all body shops, as careful as they are still manage to get dust in places you wouldn't imagine :eek:

With 65K miles on a late car like that it should be an excellent example once completed - look forward to seeing the finished results :cool:

Looks like a great project :)

Only one question I have though - surely it would've made sense to get the respray out of the way before tackling stuff like deep cleaning the interior trim, soft top and new bonnet pad? I would be concerned that sanding dust and overspray will get into everything - all body shops, as careful as they are still manage to get dust in places you wouldn't imagine :eek:

With 65K miles on a late car like that it should be an excellent example once completed - look forward to seeing the finished results :cool:

Haha, yes it would have been. Will update re. dust and overspray when I have the car back. Probably another day of deep cleaning!

You obviously have previous experience with these cars, how difficult is it pulling the suspension components apart? I've always done my own servicing to the engine and brakes, but never attempted anything on the suspension side of things. Are all the rubber bush components replaceable, or do you need to buy the full assembly (I'm thinking of wishbones and the like)?

Its not too difficult. A lot depends on the extent of corrosion as it can be a pain getting some nuts and bolts off. For a coupe of the rear bolts on the SL500 I had to cut them off as they were totally seized. I coat every nut and bolt with WD40 and leave it overnight to soak and then ease things undone slowly. With my SL600 and this SL500 I bought complete front lower arms with bushes and balljoints already in place. As far as I know on the later R129s you cannot buy the ball joint separately so this is your only option. The rear camber arms, control arms, thrust arms etc were bought as a kit and also (perhaps equally important) I always use new nuts and bolts all around. Most other rubber items - flex discs, top mounts, ARB bushes front and rear, engine / gearbox mountings and the like just come as they are obviously. I also do not pay much attention to trying to mark components for alignment as its almost impossible to get it right so I always do a 3D geometry setup afterwards. If you are going to attempt it yourself make SURE you use proper MB or OEM spring compressors, it really is not worth using Halfords £20 versions.

Last edited:
Great post, the car looks pretty good in the first picture!

I'll be following your thread with interest ;)

Good from afar......very far from good!

Great job. Sad that a late car with relatively low mileage was in such a state although I guess that made it cheap!

Here is a brief overview in pictures of the journey, I though it might be of interest, especially as the values of decent R129s seem to be going up at the moment.

Thanks for posting. These restoration/project threads are my favourites on MBClub and with the exception of the very early SLs, I think 129s are the best looking of all.

Went down to the paint shop today.....doing a lovely job. Gets pretty exciting when its time to re-assemble, Looking through the dust I think the end result is going to be pretty special.

P1010994.jpg

P1010995.jpg

P1010996.jpg

P1010997.jpg

P1010998.jpg

Stunning, both cars. I do love the blue and cream though, you won't want to drive it after that resto!

Looks great. Mine will be having some of this treatment very soon :)

Well the job was finished over the weekend and the car has been taken away. Sad to see it go to its eventual owner as it did look fantastic. The paint job was as good as any I have ever seen and together with the refreshed interior, diamond cut wheels and some close detailing the car looked as close to showroom fresh as any R129 out there.

imho there is no colour better than dark blue when it is gleaming and the blue / cream combination with the roof down is absolutely stunning.

Some pictures.

IMAG0358.jpg

nearly there...just a few pieces missing but a sunlight shot!

IMAG0359.jpg

absolute perfection

IMAG0366.jpg

interior looking fresh again

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0367.jpg

IMAG0369.jpg

Now onto the next project....anyone done a small resto job on an 840Ci before?!

Last edited:
Looks a great job and the paint colour is beautiful - I'm sure the new owner will be delighted.

Great job and the 840C1 is one of my favourite BM's

Can I ask who is doing the paint and bodywork?

The body work and paint was done by B&C Coachworks in Haslemere, Surrey. The quality of the finish was faultless and the friendliness and communication from B&C was fantastic. Run by a chap called Chris Robertson who has been in the game for longer than most of us have been on the planet, thoroughly professional but also a true gentleman to deal with. Could not recommend them enough.

Inspiring. The finished article looks amazing.

Deal done on the 840Ci. Picking up this early week. 1998 example, low miles, needs a bit of TLC but hoping for a mechanically very sound experience! Pictures to follow when available!

Whilst here....a shaft seal between the torque converter and gearbox on my SL600 let go on Friday.....fortunately realised pretty quickly due to delayed shifts and checked fluid level straight away. Was carrying 2 litres of ATF fluid at the time so kept re-filling and crept home. Looked underneath and big big leak.....onto the exhaust....smoke....great fun! Its going to be gearbox out for a gasket / seal rebuild. Will have to use the 840ci in the mean time. Got to love old cars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom