R129 SL55 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BRN9121

SUPPORTER
Car
R129, W208 & W204
Hello there,

Anyone here own an R129 SL55 AMG?

I have a few questions and want some insight from actual owners please.

FYI, R129 SL55 from 1999 on wards having the M113 5.5 liter Naturally Aspirated engine.

Thanks in advance.

The R129 SL55 AMG is a very rare car, I dont think many were built.

65 IIRC, and all LHD ... I don't recall seeing any owners on here. Think I'm right in saying it was the least powerful AMG SL ever made.

65 IIRC, and all LHD ... I don't recall seeing any owners on here. Think I'm right in saying it was the least powerful AMG SL ever made.
5.4l NA V8, 349bhp, 390lb/ft. Finding one will be like finding hens teeth.

Update

I dropped an M113 5.5 Litre AMG engine into my 1999 SL500.

Thank you
How can I tune my SL500 ECU to take full advantage of the new 5.5 AMG engine ?

Thank you
How can I tune my SL500 ECU to take full advantage of the new 5.5 AMG engine ?

I've never tuned an ECU but I suspect that if you're going to do this, you might want to try to swap out your ECU with one from a CLK55 or use an SDS with the programming function. I have that version but never went there. The moderator on Benzworld's W220 forum is doing a lot of programming on his SLK320 (R170 version) as he just installed an M113 500 engine. I would suggest reading that thread.

Hi,
I had a similar issue when I replaced the M13 V8 in my C43 for a 5.5 M113, I was running on the 4.3 ECU/Map for about a year.
I had a standard E55 map put in it and then tweaked an a rolling road.
Please do bare in mind as my car was a C43 AMG (4300cc) it already had an uprated fuel pump, filter and 55 injectors fitted from the factory, so fuelling wasn't to bad just a bit lean at full load, power wise it was producing pretty much what you would expect the change in the MAP made the most difference in the torque and especially in the way it delivered it.
Mine was done by Gerry of Euro Charged in America when he came over once.
I would be looking at getting something similar done if it was mine.
Also do bear in mind I don't think the 129 had a OBD socket (as it had the 38 pin socket under the bonnet) so after an initial rolling road run to baseline everything the ECU will have to be removed and plugged into a laptop and the original map copied which in my case took best part of an hour to do, then studied adjusted uploaded back the ECU re-fitted to the car rolling road checked again and if it still needs to be adjusted going through the process again.

My R129 is a 99 model so it has both ports.

My ECU is a Bosch ME2.0

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Updated Video

SmokeySilver, please could you provide some more information on your conversion. I am about to embark upon the same engine swap (my car is also smoke silver).

First, was it worth it? Is there a significant increase in performance?

Second, did you change the differential for a faster one?

Third, did you change the engine ECU or are you using the ECU from the 500 motor? In one of you YouTube videos you mention having the ECU programmed or tuned. How did you get on?

Fourth, did you change/uprate the fuel pump?

Thanks for your time. Jonathan

SmokeySilver, please could you provide some more information on your conversion. I am about to embark upon the same engine swap (my car is also smoke silver).

First, was it worth it? Is there a significant increase in performance?

Because I owned an M113 engine, the power jump was significant for me because the M113 was rated at 302hp as opposed to the older M119 engine which was 322hp.

Second, did you change the differential for a faster one?

No, I kept the standard SL500 differential

Third, did you change the engine ECU or are you using the ECU from the 500 motor? In one of you YouTube videos you mention having the ECU programmed or tuned. How did you get on?

I am using the ECU from the SL500 and it works fine and adapts to all the features of the existing VIN. However, in order to take full advantage of the new engine, injectors, etc, the ECU needs to be remapped. I still feel the increase in power because of the new engine, but it's not as much as it should be.

Fourth, did you change/uprate the fuel pump?

No, the existing fuel pump works just fine.

Thanks for your time. Jonathan

You are most welcome mate.

Because I owned an M113 engine, the power jump was significant for me because the M113 was rated at 302hp as opposed to the older M119 engine which was 322hp.

No, I kept the standard SL500 differential

I am using the ECU from the SL500 and it works fine and adapts to all the features of the existing VIN. However, in order to take full advantage of the new engine, injectors, etc, the ECU needs to be remapped. I still feel the increase in power because of the new engine, but it's not as much as it should be.

No, the existing fuel pump works just fine.

You are most welcome mate.
SmokeySIlver, thank you so much for coming back so swiftly, this is really helpful. Mine is a m113 car, too. I have decided just to get on with it and do it. Since posting I've seen your videos on YouTube. Your car looks great. Next thing is to find that AMG body kit and those two piece wheels. That'll cost me... More than the engine swap, I suspect. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom