R129 SL60 AMG 17" Split Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting, but despite what the ad. says they're not a size ever fitted to the R129 as standard and the offsets looks wrong to me
The wheels are 8.5" x 17" ET18 front and 10"x17" ET17 rear
SL60 3-piece AMGs were 18": 8.5 x 18 ET25 front, 10 x 18 ET25 rear.

I don't know, maybe. But ET18 at the front and ET17 at the rear doesn't sound right when the '97 spec was ET25 front and back with the same width rims?

Standard AMG fit on a pre 1995 SL. These wheels also fit the W126 series.

KLP 92 said:

I was thinking that they look almost identical to yours on the W126 and are also 3 piece... (the paint looks slighly different shade to yours though on these wheels).

Last edited:
He wants £800 for them in case anyone is interested.

Iver is not too far from me so if anyone wants me to go and inspect/view first or pick them up if they decide to buy them then give me a shout.

they are beautiful wheels and £800 is cheap for that width.

that murray systems wanted £800 for a narrower set.

Will let my friends know.

KLP 92 said:

From another Forum:

Over the time the R 129 “SL” have been built, Daimler Benz replaced in June 98’ the Double Twin cam 32 Valve engines oft the M 119 series and the Inline Six’s by V 90° 6 and 8 Types with a single cam per bank and three valves per cylinder. {Type M 112 an M 113}.

All the AMG R 129 built types used the same Identification code of the basic Daimler Benz car design.

The “SL 60” was based on the “500 SL” {R 129.066/.067}, a car, originally fitted with an 4.973 cm³ engine {M 119.960/M 119.972/M 119.982}. There have been built three different AMG Versions of the “500 SL”, but the major changes are the same.

The original crank was replaced by the crankshaft of the M 117.968 {“560”}, means the stroke was increased to 94.8 mm {3 ¾ in.}. The bore was increased to 100.0 mm { 3.94 in.}, so the engine capacity reached 5.956 cm³. Inlet and Exhaust channels of the cylinder heads were extended and polished. AMG exhausts has been fitted.

”500 SL 6.0 AMG”
First conversion to 6 Litre, based on the R 129.066 fitted with the M 119.960 KE engine.
These with Bosch KE engine control reached 374 hp @ 5.250 rpm and a maximum torque of 550 Nm @ 4.000 rpm.
They used the same Four speed automatic transmission {722.353}, Differential ratio and brakes as the 5 Litre cars. The tires, mounted on three-piece AMG rims {8 ½ x 17 ET 18 – 10 x 17 ET 17} have a size of 255/40 ZR 17 – 255/55 ZR 17.
This car have been built between September 91’ and August 93’.

”SL 60 AMG
The second series, built between September 93’ and December 95’ used the M 119.972 LH engine with Bosch LH engine control. Those engines, as those of the “E 60”, reached 381 hp @ 5.500 rpm. {580 Nm @ 3.750rpm}. This series still uses the same Front an rear brakes as those fitted on the serial “500 SL”, also have been changed to a larger diameter.
The automatic gearbox was replaced by the 722.364, still having 4 Speeds.

”SL 60 AMG
The last series was built between have been April 196 and May 98.
Now the M 119.982 with Bosch ME engine control was converted, but the output was unchanged. The gearbox was replaced by the new five speed automatic transmission, rims have had 18” diameter, the size of the tires reached 245/40 ZR 18 – 275/35 ZR 18.

AMG Aerodynamic Body kit have been fitted to all official converted cars.

Of all series have around 300 cars been built.

Kind regards

Otfried

So these wheels would only fit R129s up to December 1995??

The later 18" rims have the same widths (8.5 front, 10 rear) but significantly different offsets. Anybody know what changed on the car to require this?

Didnt get anywhere near the reserve and ended on £510, i think it may have something to do with the fact the wheels have been split and put back together with different studs. OZ still sell genuine bolts so there is no excuse!

SportsCoupeRich said:
beautiful looking wheel though...

Absolutley agree... :)

That is my favourite MB alloy wheel design of all time (17" AMG 3 Piece).

They are great wheels, I might be seriously tempted if I saw a set that were the correct size/offset for my car.

BTB 500 said:
They are great wheels, I might be seriously tempted if I saw a set that were the correct size/offset for my car.

The ones sold could easily fit your with a bit of modding... ;)

Flash said:
The ones sold could easily fit your with a bit of modding... ;)

Do you mean spacers or similar to take the offsets up to 25 front & rear? Would presumably require longer bolts too?

If in not mistaken, to increase offset you have to do the opposite of adding spacers, so shave off a little off the centres. It can be done though, Im getting a set of these on my CE, 10" on the rears!

aka$h said:
If in not mistaken, to increase offset you have to do the opposite of adding spacers, so shave off a little off the centres. It can be done though, Im getting a set of these on my CE, 10" on the rears!

I believe it depends on whether they are positive or negative offset. I think the AMG rear wheels are negative offset (aka "dished"), so if they are ET17 instead of ET25 you'd need an 8mm spacer to get the centreline in the right place.

The AMG fronts are probably positive offset, so 18 instead of 25 would mean shaving 7mm off the rear of the wheel to get the centre in the same place.

IMO it's pretty stupid and confusing that "ET10" (for example) can mean both positive and negative offset. Why not say "ET+10" and "ET-10"?

I don't profess to be an expert on wheels, so if I've got any of the above wrong I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in!

When looking at mine, it says e17 not et17, could this be a clue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom