R129 SL60 AMG For Sale - Strange Seller!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for sharing. I don't get it with some people. Don't they want to sell their cars? Or more likely they aren't aware what work you need to put into it to sell and at the best price.

Surely nobody is going to buy this car blind or pay that money if it's rubbish.

Went to look at a 1998 SL500 today. Decent enough honest car but not as good as I was hoping. One of those that you would pay more for a better one or would need to pay less for the one I saw today.

Was that the azurite blue one on classic cars for 8k? I was tempted to see that but the price put me off as I figured if it was decent it would be more. I'm struggling to find a nice 500. They seem to have dried up.

Yup, that's the one. Shame really as it is a pretty straight and honest car and maybe an owner or two ago would have been ideal.

The current owner(s) is dad/son shared and the 23 yo son has put a sports back box on and unfortunately whoever fitted it has literally hacked the bumper to pieces with a slashing motion! I have never seen anything like it! Needs a new bumper!! Front tyres are perished due to standing lack of use and all cracked.
Body is generally good....no obvious leaks, drove well enough.

Problem is 7 previous owners so I would be the 9th! Lots of documented history and first owner for 9 years.

Head unit is nice original Becker but doesn't work. The Xenon's are not OEM and are after-market with balons etc. and installed OK but not great. Needs new brake discs. Interior is all pretty good. Leather a bit tired and not as good as my SL60 (although that wasn't perfect) but still in keeping with age/mileage.
Steering wheel nice but a bit tired. Has had CATS and suspension work recently.

A few small dings and scratches but a good detail & dent guy would remove most of these.

Generally a pretty straight and honest car. A little tired but could be brought up to scratch with some time, care, attention and cash. Problem for me is that with 7 previous owners and the time and cash you would need to spend on it you are better off buying a better one in the first place....if you can find one!

I am tempted but not at anywhere near that price. I would take it for £5k maybe a bit more but sorry to say it isn't worth much more to me. I guess an issue common to these kind of cars at this stage of their lives. I might be being a little harsh but you can't pay anything close to £7.5k-£8k for this in my honest opinion.

The son told me he had been offered £7.5k as had dropped the price from £8.5k. I am not sure I beleive that though but he did say he was in no rush to sell and wanted £8k and refused the offer at £7.5k. I am not so sure. If I had been offered £7.5k on that car I would have bit their arm off ;)

Any other questions about it ask me as I saw it yesterday.

Thanks. That could be the purchase price again or more to get it up to standard.

I went to see the 40k miles SL at Classic Chrome up at 15k. It had rust on both wings, a really badly worn drivers seat, dirty and worn gear knob, steering wheel and switches, some dents and I think 4 or 5 stamps in the service book. I didn't bother driving it so can't comment on any mechanical problems.

I would go to that price on the right car. It's finding one in the first place that's getting harder.

Sorry to hijack. Think thisis about. Looks good..

Mercedes-Benz SL Class 5.0 SL500 2dr

That's funny. I saw that one the other day as well. My brother went down to see it today for me as was near him in Brighton. Couple of issues but on the whole a decent sound car. Done a deal and should pick the car up on Tuesday.

looks very nice, I have some r129 wheels available if your looking for any

I've now bought an SL500 this weekend. It's got AMG wheels which I don't like so I'm looking for some normal 129 alloys.

I've now bought an SL500 this weekend. It's got AMG wheels which I don't like so I'm looking for some normal 129 alloys.

Ok, I should get the car collected tomorrow and up to me by the weekend. I am not sure what the alloys are like that is on the car but will see when I get it.

What SL did you buy?

Last edited:
I have some of the r129 daddies!! The 18" staggered Amg Bbs 2 piece splits available if anyone's interested drop me a p.m ;)

Ok, I should get the car collected tomorrow and up to me by the weekend. I am not sure what the alloys are like that is on the car but will see when I get it.

What SL did you buy?

I bought the 20k miles azurite blue one in the club gazette this month. Top money but looks like a new car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom