R129 SL60 Wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
After selling my SL60 a couple of years ago I miss it and am looking to get back into one again.

If anyone fancies parting with theirs drop me a line. I have a nice R129 SL500 1999 72k miles 2 owner car that could be used as a swap + cash or straight purchase if not.

Sl500

Hi there,

Have a mate looking for a late SL500 soon ..... please let me know if you find your SL60 and decide to sell yours.

Thanks,
Peter.

Hi there,

Have a mate looking for a late SL500 soon ..... please let me know if you find your SL60 and decide to sell yours.

Thanks,
Peter.
I could still look to sell the SL500 first if need be before finding an SL60. It is a 4th car so is not needed for travel& is just for pleasure ;)

I did give it to my brother to sell briefly but left it a little late to sell at the backend of last year. Then decided I would keep it after driving it for a bit. In will try to find the ad as has all the key details. He did a You Tube walkaround here:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayHjo_mTsXk

I've managed to get my hands on a blue one finally and it's got some punch over my 500sl !

There is still a silver car for sale in see online

Good work. I liked that Blue one & dropped a message to the guy. I think it was a smidge rich for me. Mainly as I have a real issue with Blue interiors. I just couldn't see me getting over it to live with.

Looks like a decent car & buy especially at a price a little further north! I'm guessing it was?

I have been to see the Silver one. It is an MB Club UK member. I bought a one way ticket after setting up a figure over the phone subject bro viewing. Got a train all the way from London to Chester. Then bought a train ticket back!

Nice guy but for me the car wasn't quite as I expected or hoped. It needs a little TLC, time & cash to get it right. I have an offer sitting there at a price I thought was fair to allow some cash to be spent without paying too much for the car. If I find a better one in the meantime I will look at buying. Still in the market for one.

Bump

I'm still in the market for an SL60 if anyone fancies selling their SL60 or knows of ones for sale.

Little bump

BUMP

Also have a really nice 1 previous owner R129 SL500 T/99 Black 72k miles car that I would swap plus cash for anyone wanting to sell their SL60 to drop into an SL500 instead.

Bump

Another little bump. Drop me a line if you have an SL60 you fancy selling ;)

there is the S160SW still for sale albeit pricy. But its a clean car.

Thanks for this. I had seen this one and spoke to the dealer/owner selling it as soon as it hit the market. I have spoken to someone in the know on this one who knows the car as well and it is not good enough at that price level. At 50k it is 20k over priced IMHO.

It is a better car than an equivalent and nice SL500 but it isn't over 3 times better than my SL500 that is for sure. Questionable is to whether it is twice as good at £30k to be honest. Others may disagree but having owned both it is not worth twice or thrice or more than my SL500.

I would rather buy a much newer SL65 for £50k than this SL60 at £50k. No comparison for the money.

I don't disagree with you in terms of the money side of it but as we know the modern classic car market has taken off. I paid more for my sl60 than I wanted to but I also knew how limited they are in terms of changing hands per year. There are far better cars to drive for £35k than an SL60 and I am saying this and I own one. But it is something different from modern cars and stuff that is built by the thousand. Would I pay £200k for a 911 Speedster 3.2 = No but at £90k where they were 3 years ago I probably would have (but didn't!)
its not even a particularly good car the speedster but it looks good and sounds good and its rare.
Given how difficult the SL60 is to find, you either need a LHD car or wait for 2 years and see what comes out to the market.

I sold S16OSW after 5 years of ownership in 2014. The buyer at the time had an inspection at John Haynes as a bargaining strategy, inspection came back with circa £15k to spend. If he's done all that then, yea it's worth £50k IMO. But if it's not had the work done, I'd expect to spent a few quid on it.

Thanks aka$h...useful info. I'm sure I spoke to you when you were selling at the time with a view to buy.

It doesn't sound as though that 15k or much of it was spent from what I have found out so far.

At 50k it would need to be one of the very best SL60's out there possibly the best IMHO. You can buy a much rarer SL70/72/73 for not much more.

I sold S16OSW after 5 years of ownership in 2014. The buyer at the time had an inspection at John Haynes as a bargaining strategy, inspection came back with circa £15k to spend. If he's done all that then, yea it's worth £50k IMO. But if it's not had the work done, I'd expect to spent a few quid on it.

That's a big bill. Do you mind sharing what the car needed doing? I suppose big chunk of it was labour?

Nice car but for me an SL60 is not special enough or different enough to warrant such a huge premium over a nice SL500. I'll take my SL500 all day long at 15k so I guess that is the way I'll stay.

I've owned both an SL60 and and 2 x SL50p's. The SL60 is a bit quicker than an SL500 but still not quick in today's money. The brakes are stock SL600 & are not great & it's no sports car. I'm not talking the car down as can't find one for reasonable money. Just can't see they are worth over 3 or 4 times as much as an equivalent SL500.

When I bought my SL60 I had to ask myself if I thought it was worth 3k more than the SL500 I had. I decided it was and paid 9k for that car. I sold it about 3 years later with a new wing, various other parts added a pano roof to the standard hardtop & sold it for 12.5k. This was market value at the time. Is that car now worth 3 times that price? Not for me it is not and nowhere near IMHO.

If you are talking an SL73 then maybe a different story. The SL60 is an SL500 with some engine changes and SL600 brakes. That is pretty much it.

Each to their own but there is no decent value here for me. Typical example of how our economy is bubbling with few strong fundamentals underlying. I'll let someone else buy SL60's at 40k & 50k.

You keep repeating yourself time and time again with the 500 v. 60 malarkey. Exciting, not exciting, worth it, not worth it... Buy it if you've got the money, drop it if you don't. Shoulda kept the 60! Worth a lot more now ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom