R129 sl60

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129Melvin

Car
R231 SL
How easy is it to find a good one, what should I pay and where should I look? I'm really itching to get a more powerful version than my 500.

Not easy at all, but they do come up.

The later facelift models are now commanding 20K+ with low mileage examples going for 25K+.

They are a vast improvement in terms of perfomance over a 500.

You will just need to keep an eye on all the websites.

Not easy at all, but they do come up.

The later facelift models are now commanding 20K+ with low mileage examples going for 25K+.

They are a vast improvement in terms of perfomance over a 500.

You will just need to keep an eye on all the websites.

Thank you, I will keep looking. That's quite a jump in price over the 500 but I'm guessing they are worth it from all the rave reviews. In addition to the extra power is the handling sharper too?

Here's one with some mods done to it for £25500 100kmiles :
SL60 AMG Silver Arrow One off For Sale (1996) on Car And Classic UK [C653786]

Jay is right good facelifted ,post 96s, low miles will set you back 25k to near 30k. Thats if you can find one. Good RHDs are getting harder to find since the price jump on these models.

As this one:Mercedes SL 60 AMG ( 129-series ) For Sale (1998) on Car And Classic UK [C569368]

If SL60s not within your budget I'd consider a nice SL500 Silver arrow edition (shame no SL600 silver arrow RHD). These were produced 2001/2002 so last of the facelifts, and IMO they are the next best 129s with investment potential. Power is nice but not everything :bannana:

Last edited:
Thank you, I will keep looking. That's quite a jump in price over the 500 but I'm guessing they are worth it from all the rave reviews. In addition to the extra power is the handling sharper too?

For handling your best bet is probably a car with ADS (optional on the SL60 and 500, standard on the SL600).

If SL60s not within your budget I'd consider a nice SL500 Silver arrow edition

Those are a bit 'Marmite' ... many people don't like the wheels, interior, and shiny trim. But I guess as a special edition they will still be 'collectable'.

I'm really itching to get a more powerful version than my 500.

I looked long and hard at SL60s a while back but really the issue with the 500 for me was lack of noise rather than lack of power. That was easily sorted via a couple of simple exhaust mods. (resonator delete and sports cats).

No denying the extra power and rarity of the SL60 though, and if money had been no object I'd probably have gone for it (I was offered a really nice one by a member here - same colour and year as my 500 and similar low mileage).

Personally I loved the treatment that was given to the Silver Arrow and when I sold mine missed it, as the standard treatment of the SL60 is not - to my mind - as attractive. So, I was interested to see Gee's car, as it melds the two nicely. Whether it will adversely affect the SL60 value I don't know, but buy what you enjoy (on which point I've just bought another Porsche 928 S4 - RHD Japanese import with less than 30k miles, lovely little thing)

I'm offing the car on here for 22k now, with the hope of a buy back once my finances improve. Regarding affecting the value of an sl60 amg the work carried out. I'm sure you can sell the genuine silver arrow interior with upgraded nappa dashboards sunvisors etc door cards and buy back the grey interior which came with it which I got buttons for iirc £600 in total and make a nice profit if you think it effects the value.
Also the eisenmann exhaust can be removed and a basic r129 sl500 exhaust put back on and £500 pocketed at least. If returning to orginal makes it more valuable then for someone with the time and effort the parts I've used are very saleable. All the others mods like brake discs and suspension just make the car much better driveable wise. I think the dampers were £1,200 and second hand amg r129 dampers are around £300 on german ebay. It is very simple to return to normal spec if that's what you want but I hope my changes have been oem and improvements not Halfords specced up. I've still got the original non xenon headlights. You can sell the xenons on ebay as they are genuine for around £800 the pair to return to original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom