R129 Soft Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steeve

Car
SL350
Hi guys, looking for insights from R129 owners.

Went to look at a 1998 SL320 today, there was a weird knock when operating the roll bar and some bubbling on the wings, so am going to pass on the car itself.

But as test driving I noticed that I needed to push quite far into the pedal for it to start to engage, at which point they operated just fine. Trying to work out if that is normal on this build, and it's just weird to me coming from a more modern car, or is that something that either needs adjusting or indicative of underlying issues.

Just trying to understand the model to make sure I understand what are issues Vs just the way it is. Thanks!

Yes it's just what they do, it's like the steering, accurate but not as sensitive as a modern.

Thanks Richard, saw your post on my other thread too, appreciate the insights!

Also worth considering that even the newest 129s are 20 years old now - if the calipers have not been maintained then they may well be due a rebuild. But yes, by modern standards it's a long and progressive pedal.

Also worth considering that even the newest 129s are 20 years old now - if the calipers have not been maintained then they may well be due a rebuild. But yes, by modern standards it's a long and progressive pedal.
Thanks.

I wouldn't say it was progressive. Maybe it's the weight of the car, but the first 50% of the pedal didn't seem to do much, the braking happened in the last 50%?

Yes that's just how they are. With a brake overhaul (never a bad thing on a car with unknown provenance) you may be able to improve things, but it's never going to feel the same as a modern.

My list would include every fluid and filter, brake discs and pads, suspension bushes and joints (particularly anything made of rubber) and the often overlooked flex discs.

Try to make friends with a few owners and drive a few.

Hi

my roll bar makes a few knocks (fast series of three iirc) both up and dow. Think it is the locking into position?. My brakes are also softer than our other MB’s too, one new caliper and one rebuild about six years ago.
There was what appeared to be a nice 320 in black, cream interior on the bay of fleas, Nottingham I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom