R129 Soft top - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gramey

Car
2003 R230 SL350 Tellurium silver
As above really, having bought my car on Wednesday knowing the rear windows were cracked and the trailing edge frayed I need to do something about my soft top.

Unless someone suggests otherwise I'm assuming replacing just the rear section is a non starter as it's likely the front section has faded and it would look a pig.

There seem to be several companies out there selling replacement hoods at varying prices so does anyone have any recommendations? Perhaps rather stupidly I was planning on trying to fit it myself so if anyone has gone this route also their advice would be greatly appreciated. :dk:

Fitting it DIY is a big no no... Unless you have done this before, you will make a mess of it.
The tension and alignment have to be spot on otherwise you will have issues with the mechanism. Not to mention leaks.

IT will cost around £1500 to have it done properly... I think good quality hoods from the likes of https://www.cabrio.de/khm/en come in at around £600.

Thanks for that, watching the video on YouTube with two Mercedes technicians doing it still looks like a lot of work let alone me on my own never having done one.

Do you know how hard it is to remove the whole assembly, the hood still attached to the frame? :confused:

gramey said:
Thanks for that, watching the video on YouTube with two Mercedes technicians doing it still looks like a lot of work let alone me on my own never having done one. Do you know how hard it is to remove the whole assembly, the hood still attached to the frame? :confused:

Unfortunately these aren't as simple as lesser cats like bmw's or Mazda's.

There is all the electronic wiring and hydraulic pipes. I really wouldn't disturb any of that.
Removing is one thing. Replacing it all and lining it all up will be a nightmare.
None of the fitters I know ever remove the frames..

The reason I ask is I've got the opportunity to buy a complete new hood already attached to the frame brand new from a guy who bought t but never got round to fitting it to his SL before he sold it.

The price is right, sadly some of us our on a budget, so I'm tempted to go for it as even if I have to pay to get it aligned it will work out much cheaper than the £1200 + that companies want to replace mine.

Obviously it won't be any use if it doesn't fit so does anyone know if there is any difference in the frames/fittings from the early to late models? :confused:

By the time you factor in the hours of work to strip out, refit, realign and reset, it might well not be.

I appreciate all advice given but I seem to be sensing a lot of negativity here guys. I was hoping there might be someone who'd actually done this and could speak from personal experience, be that good or bad.
As it does say n a few of the suppliers sites, including the most expensive one 'easy DIY installation' but I guess that's a matter of perspective. :)

Failing that I either need to wait and dig deep or chance an expensive mistake as a guinea pig. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom