R129 sort top replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusty55

Car
sl320
Hi my 97 r129 in dark blue needs top replacing its blue at present but not sure to go the same or black . Has any member got a view or even better a pic of both options for me to review final look Cheers

I'm not personally a fan of 'coloured' hoods ... black is the classic look IMHO.

Incidentally does the hood really need replacing? Normally it's just the windows that go.

Hi, Had my 129 top replaced in June 2013 by Kevin Baggs in Poole Dorset and was very impressed with service and quality. Have attached photos.
See link below for website. It cost at the time just under a £1000 which included materials and labour

K. BAGGS TRIMMING | ULTIMA GTR Slideshow

I used to live in Berkshire, so being in Wiltshire isn't too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
+ 1 for Kevin Baggs, Rusty, especially as he is almost on your doorstep! Colour is subjective, but I always think that the unusual colours are so much more interesting, and if blue compliments your car, I'd stay with it.

On an azurite blue car, the black hood just looks wrong. Mercedes spec'd a blue hood for a reason. :thumb:

Thanks for replays I think doodle my be right as the hood is faded it looks don't do justice my go this way . The hood has discoloured windows and the fabric has ripped on drivers side panel. Have contacted a trimmer from calne swtrimmers only 15 miles away and says he's just fitted a blue top to a silver r129 this week and will send a picture still waiting been dwelling on this all day. Got to get car ready for a road trip to Scotland in June price given £1050 all in

Last edited:
Hi my 97 r129 in dark blue needs top replacing its blue at present but not sure to go the same or black . Has any member got a view or even better a pic of both options for me to review final look Cheers

KHM will supply the original top as a kit for DIY fitting , or offer a fitting service at their factory in Germany .

300 - 600 SL 129 : Softtop 300-600 SL 129

The 300SL I test drove last year was Nautic Blue with mushroom leather and had a blue soft top which looked superb ; I think it would have looked awful with a black top .

For reference, this is azurite with a brand new blue roof.

IMAG01352.jpg

I would stick with the blue hood....may be worth getting a quote from Car Hoods in Chessington. Very fast and excellent service.

On an azurite blue car, the black hood just looks wrong. Mercedes spec'd a blue hood for a reason. :thumb:

Hi, Actually the soft top was green which I didn't like. The car was Zircon Green, code 257.
When I asked the seller if it was blue or green he didn't know, so I got it off the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referring to Bills post (in ref to the OPs car). In your case the black is definitely the better choice - the coloured hoods only really work where they closely match the body colour, and the green that MB offered doesn't really.

Doodle it looks very smart thanks same colour Azurite

Last edited:
Hi doodle just had the roof done chose blue looks great will detail at weekend so I'll post then thanks for your pics

you took a good decision and by the way on your data card it is marked that you have a blue softtop from the factory... so you stick to originality... much better for a car which will see it's value rise in the following years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom