R129 Tarnished Grill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KNU7S

Car
1991 R129 500SL Mercedes, 2002 ML270cdi, 2004 Freelander
Hi has any one got a solution or suggestion for sorting out the grill on my 1991 SL500? It looks terrible. I have heard it is a common problem and i have been advised that new blades are approx £450-£500.

I have seen some painted black but i do like the original finish.

Can anyone help?

If they are titanium, then take then out and wet and dry (1000grit) them ... then have them lacquered .....

Did this on a bike frame once , looked cool :cool:

Are the blades sold apart from the plastic bit or are they integral? I ask because I managed to break the plastic backing bit when my hood wasn't closing, as a result my shiny star has come away and some of the plastic bits are kaput. Tried (without success) to superglue said star back in place (shame shame I hear) and have done nothing since, rather afraid to ask how much a silly bit of plastic is going to cost me.......

The blades are separate and i managed to remove one, i lightly sanded it and found it to be Powder Coated in a metallic finish.

I think i will order some acid etch primer and some paint to match, and hope its a nice sunny weekend!

I saw the grill restoration on ebay does look nice, but possibly a bit on the bright side! for me anyway, also does make me wonder how long the lacquer would last

Thanks for the info

Tim

KNU7S said:
I saw the grill restoration on ebay does look nice, but possibly a bit on the bright side! for me anyway

For me too, didn't look original at all .. almost like chrome.

Good luck with your restoration!

The grilles pop up on eBay from time to time - a bonnet from a breakers may be a good option. One went for £40 the other day. Make sure you get the right year as the design changed in '96.

The original look is best, i am starting to see a few pimped SL's on the road, some quite nasty!

I'm all for tweaking a car and making it individual but some people do not know when to stop!

My 1991 car has clear indicators (to make it more modern) and it is fitted with Lorinser alloys which are well suited to the car. I have got a set on new shape 17" SL alloys but not sure if they will look right.

stats007 said:
Make sure you get the right year as the design changed in '96.

Do you know what the changes were, mine don't look powder-coated as Tim mentions. Any truth in the 'titanium turbine blades' stuff on Ken Rockwell's site?!

A mystery! I don't think they're titanium - another one of Ken's exaggerations maybe?! The grille colour looks different on so many cars I wonder if they were colour coded in some way?

The grille went from 7 slats to 6:

01.jpg

01.jpg

I think the colour could be titanium, because the finish is Polyester powder coated it will give a very high finish. I originally thought they were anodised until i rubbed one down last night

I work with powder coated aluminium and I am having some paint mixed to match the original finish.

KNU7S said:
I work with powder coated aluminium and I am having some paint mixed to match the original finish.

You should offer a refurb. service on Ebay!

Great Idea!!!! just under cut the other guy and give up the day job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom