R129 underbody car protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
Hi

I noticed one of the grommets was missing under my car OS

IMG_1283.jpeg

and I was not sure if this was a blanking cover 1109870544 or more something like 1239972981

I checked on the other side and that part seems to have seen better days

IMG_1284.jpeg
IMG_1285.jpeg

they used to be round :p but was able to read part number 1109870544 of the original , to be certain I have also ordered part 1239972981)

Some of the protective underbody car protection has come away.

I have some POR15 that I can use but what is the original material or recommend MB material to use to patch this up? I guess it is some kind of stone chip protection layer

I will cut away some of the peel, grind down any surface rust and will have a look with a camera to see what is going on inside and see if that needs treating with Dinitrol

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1283.jpeg
    IMG_1283.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 2
That original rubberised underseal is evil when it starts peeling, it can hide all sorts of sins. I have had great success with POR15 - I painted the 190's subframe mount areas with it years ago with no signs of deterioration yet. Use metal prep and give it a good few coats.

Perfect. I have got quite a lot of it spare and will give it a good cleanup and will apply por15.

My recently purchased 129 has one of the grommets missing, and has done for what looks like many years - the hole is now about 60mm diameter.

I have it booked in for a full underbody strip down, steam clean, rust removal, rust conversion and dinitrol application in a couple of weeks. Will get pics. I felt it was worth it to slow down the inevitable.

My recently purchased 129 has one of the grommets missing, and has done for what looks like many years - the hole is now about 60mm diameter.

I have it booked in for a full underbody strip down, steam clean, rust removal, rust conversion and dinitrol application in a couple of weeks. Will get pics. I felt it was worth it to slow down the inevitable.

I am putting the car upon axle stands and am going to do a good diy cleanup over the course of the next few weeks I have a small camera to inspect the inside and have quite a bit of Dinitrol spare to treat the cavity. No idea what I will find. Hopefully not too bad.

Do you know how much it is going to cost to have that done.

£600ish plus welding It’s being done by these guys (I’m dropping it in today).

Nice setup they’ve got and the guy was really helpful. I popped in as I was passing, and he put the car on ramps and spent 20 mins looking at it with me.

That is a fairly decent amount to spend.

I had a look underneath and removed all the rubber grommets and each of them reveal rust.

Grinded down 2 of the worst spots. One side I think I caught it just on time. The other side is rusted thru and the whole is getting bigger.

the near side which is not too bad now I have tackled it with the grinder

C8A34AEF-A160-4C35-918A-EA10A5141AC3.jpeg

the offside however077678D5-7E0A-475A-AEC9-53767130912F.jpeg
I have applied dinitrol rc900 just now and will use dinitrol cavity wax and underbody seal to finish it off.
I purchased replacement grommets in Poland via a colleague and they will arrive next week

hopefully that will take care of that for now. Will revisit next year or so to see if dinitrol treatment worked or not

Attachments

• AB7008FE-12FB-44B2-A8C9-BC980A1A146D.jpeg
    AB7008FE-12FB-44B2-A8C9-BC980A1A146D.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom