R129 - Use of Axle stands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pcn1

Car
SL320
Hi,

Ive been trying to google some info on where you can safely place axle stands under the R129 once you have lifted it via the correct jacking points.
Plenty of info on the cars jacking points themselves, but there dosnt seem much info out there that I can find on where to support the car on stands. What I can see hasn't inspired much confidence either.
Anyone have experince of this and can educate me ?
I want to take off the front wheels, do some inspection and maintenance on the front suspension and replace the discs and pads.

Regards

That all depends on what you mean by "correct jacking points".

If you use the pin lift into the sill (there are adaptors available for use with trolley jacks), then you can place the axle stands under the jacking pads. If you're lifting via the jacking pads themselves it's a bit more tricky, as you need to get the stands further inboard onto the front subframe.

As above - Except that I try to put some wooden blocks between the jack stands and the underside of the car.
My jacking stands have a VEE-type top and I'm always afraid of damaging the area that I support due to the concentration of the car weight at two points.
Maybe I'm just too fussy !

If you use the pin lift into the sill (there are adaptors available for use with trolley jacks), then you can place the axle stands under the jacking pads.

That's what I did in the end - I had all 4 wheels off mine at the same time, I think because you picked up the Ceginus ones before the AMGs arrived!

I tried Ebay but could'nt see these pin adaptors for sale anywhere ?

I just used the standard car jack.

The ones I remember were made by a company called Schwaben. I did spot these, but you'd need to check they're the right size as you don't want them too loose or they'll twist and damage the jacking point.

BMW E36 LIFT PAD FOR LIFTING CAR - JACK PAD FOR DRIFT MOTORSPORT | eBay

Also, I feel that £30 is a bit steep for a couple of plates and steel bars, but I need to clear the garage enough to get access to my welder (and recover my plasma cutter from my friend).

Hi,

Ive been trying to google some info on where you can safely place axle stands under the R129 once you have lifted it via the correct jacking points.
Plenty of info on the cars jacking points themselves, but there dosnt seem much info out there that I can find on where to support the car on stands. What I can see hasn't inspired much confidence either.
Anyone have experince of this and can educate me ?
I want to take off the front wheels, do some inspection and maintenance on the front suspension and replace the discs and pads.

Regards
I just jack mine up with my trolley jack under the jacking points , then place the axle stands under the axles ( the lower wishbones as far outwards as possible ) , never been a problem .

I’ve got two sets of axle stands but never use them for regular maintenance.
Instead I use wooden blocks which are cuttings from roofing joists. With these I can block up the car in increments to suit the work plus unlike axle stands the car does not slide about and the blocks do not damage any bodywork.

If you ever use lumps of wood make sure it is structural grade timber at.the very least. High density rubber blocks would be better. A couple of the SGS axle stands I have come with rubber tops to limit damage a little.

Yes indeed, my “lumps of wood” are structural (flooring joists) and I’ve been using them for over 20 years.
Axle stands even with rubber tips still have metal feet which can slip very easy.
My blocks don’t budge an inch, they’re laid flat and just over foot long and 8” wide.

Thanks for the advice chaps. Hope to get to work on the car soon 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom