R129 wind deflector colour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjsp

Car
1991 R129 500 SL
Do the wind deflectors for the R129 come in different colours? I'd like to get one on ebay but I've only ever seen black/grey ones; my car has the cream leather so might look strange...

I have only seen them in black.

They seem to look just fine regardless of interior colour imho.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :thumb:

Yes I've only ever seen them in black.

They were standard btw, so should come with the car. If you haven't got one you're probably also missing the trim panel for the boot that covers it when not fitted to the roll bar? Those obviously do come in different colours, depending on the interior trim of the car.

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for such prompt replies! Black it is then. Seems mine didn't come with it, I can see the spot in the boot where it might sit and a couple of little holes each side that could assist in securing the panel I guess? Most deflectors being sold don't come with the storage panel and for those that do I have yet to see a cream one, so I'll settle for a grey panel as there's one in good nick on auction today.

Only just recently purchased the car, a low mileage early 500 (1991) in blue, needed a bit of TLC but now perfect. I LOVE it!

Last edited:
I bought a cover panel for mine about eight years ago, and they were about £15 then, so check with your local dealership.

I know someone with Silver Arrow, and his has a silver framed deflector, akaik standard for that model.

Yes I got the trim panel from a dealership, the main advantage being that it was the right colour! Had to be ordered from Germany, but took less than a week IIRC.

Local dealership unhelpful, they didn't find such a part (the storage panel) and suggested that it has been discontinued.

Just found this panel on ebay in the US, part number 129 694 17 25 at $184 + international postage, seems steep but it's probably the right colour...
500SL 300SL 600SL SL500 SL320 WIND SCREEN DEFLECTOR COVER BEIGE | eBay

I assume this is the correct part for being able to store it in the boot.

Yup, it's the same as mine (apart from the colour). However ... there are three elasticated straps in the car with clips on the end of them that hook into the slots you can see round the edge of the panel. I'm not sure whether this was the same for all versions of the R129.

Thanks. So that's the right part number for the panel. Pity there's no sign of the three securing straps there in my car; that's the next puzzle once I've got the panel, might have to make something up if I can't get the straps from a dealer.

Local dealership unhelpful, they didn't find such a part (the storage panel) and suggested that it has been discontinued.

Just found this panel on ebay in the US, part number 129 694 17 25 at $184 + international postage, seems steep but it's probably the right colour...
500SL 300SL 600SL SL500 SL320 WIND SCREEN DEFLECTOR COVER BEIGE | eBay

Bear in mind, it's little more than a cosmetic cover, and not the best of fits at that. As Bill says, you should have three elasticated straps attached to the inside of your boot (against the firewall, left, right and top centre), which secure the cover in place, with the deflector stowed away behind it. $184 seems a ludicrous sum to me, plus shipping, and it won't travel too well, being quite flimsy.

Mercedes of Poole (Jacksons) have a very knowledgeable parts department, so why not give them a ring? 01202 666330

I realise I am about a year late replying to your very helpful comments on wind deflector cover, but that's how long it took for an official one to come up on eBay in the UK :) Thanks Bill and Mike for pointing out about the straps; I asked the seller and he kindly included these too along with some fitting pics.

I spent the afternoon fitting it (what better to do on a bank holiday) and I'm very pleased with the result! I had to use new nuts and bolts to attach the strap mounts and trim brackets as the nuts were missing. Oddly also, my car doesn't come with a hole in the chassis for the centre elastic strap (the trim has the hole though!) so I'll have to drill this out at some point.

WP_20130527_004.jpg

Woop!!

Before you drill a hole for the centre, where is the fuel tank located on 129's?

The other side of that panel should be the roof storage area.

late model R129 offered different trim color

The only variation of the factory standard R129 wind deflector i am aware of, and/or have ever observed are the which were fitted on the final years of production (1999 - 2002) R129'S equipped with Silver Arrow specifications.
Though the fabric portion remained black as always, these Silver Arrow deflectors replaced the standard/traditional black metal frame & trim with what appears to be either chrome or polished aluminum, I'm uncertain, however, which of the two it is.
These silver SL's featured this shiny reflective metal finish in other trim pieces of the roadster which gave them a highly polished appearance which was carried beautifully on the "ultra-metallic" special edition paint.
The tonneau cover trim as well as metal flaps and border behind driver & passenger seats which are all housing for the soft top compartment are the most conspicuous applications of this metalwork as opposed to standard models; especially on a sunny day!

R230's came standard from the factory equipped with the wind deflectors in the car's main interior color, however, I always opined the variation in color of their roll bar & upper portion of the interior color produced too far great of a contrast with that of the seats & lower portion of the interior. Gave these a 3 color/busy look with top down & roll bar/wind defector deployed.

For example, if one specified any interior color other than black for their R230, lets say, their factory tan leather with chestnut trim for the vehicle, the tan leather used on the seats aft stowage compartments would come in a hue numerous shades lighter than that used on the dash, upper door panels, vario roof flaps & cover and that of the leather in which the roll bar was trimmed. The color difference was pleasing to the eye in all of these area's, i think, but not for the roll bar. As again, made things appear too busy, especially with brightly colored exterior spec R230's such as Firemist Red or Blue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom