R129 wind deflector storage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Recently got a wind deflector for my R129 (which came without one).

What are the options for storing this in the vehicle?

My car has a recess in the boot with 3 elasticated straps ... but this isn't quite wide enough for the deflector to fit into it :confused:. The straps do hold the deflector upright against the back of the boot, but it doesn't look 'right' (and you lose the boot space in the empty recess behind it!). Obviously anything loose in the boot would potentially damage the deflector's mesh.

The manual simply says the deflector can be stored in a 'container' in the trunk. I had a quick look in EPC and think I've found this part, but that wouldn't fit the recess either (since the bare deflector doesn't go in there!). Also looks like there's a plain trim panel that can be used to cover the deflector, but I don't see any attachment points for something like that in my vehicle.

How is this all meant to work?!

PS the deflector fits the roll bar fine.

Dunno Bill - mine was supplied with my car from new back in '90.

I've always just propped it against the back of the boot space. Its in my garage now as the hard top is on...

Thanks Greg. Does yours have the 3 elasticated straps in the boot?

I've got the hardtop on too, regretted it a couple of times over the last few weekends when the weather has been brilliant!

You need that trim panel to go with those 3 straps in the boot.

You put the deflector into the boot up against the wall to the cabin, and then drop the panel over the front. The 3 straps then clip onto the panel and hold it, with the deflector inside, against the cabin wall.

I'll try and get some pics tonight to explain it better.

DolphiN Tech said:
I'll try and get some pics tonight to explain it better.

That would be brilliant, many thanks.

Had a look on my EPC at lunchtime - found what I think is the part, but the DC part number database does not list it..... :(

Hope we (me and Bill) already have this fitted....

GregE240 said:
Had a look on my EPC at lunchtime - found what I think is the part, but the DC part number database does not list it..... :(
Try adding a colour code :)

GregE240 said:
Er Nick, how do I do that on the DC parts thing?
Just put it on the end of the part number, sometimes it will accept 9999 as a colour code.

Your EPC should tell you the colour codes.

Apologies, it's taken until this morning for me and the SL to be in the same place with enough light to make a decent picture. I'll pull them off the camera tonight, tweak them and post them up.

Thanks!

I'm still a bit confused why my car has the straps that apparently hold this trim panel, yet it's not mentioned in the handbook at all?!

Not a clue...it's not mentioned in our handbook either.

DolphiN Tech said:
Apologies, it's taken until this morning for me and the SL to be in the same place with enough light to make a decent picture. I'll pull them off the camera tonight, tweak them and post them up.

Any luck with this? Thanks.

Grrr...found the damn camera cable at last.

Here are a couple of shots of the deflector housing in the boot

SLwindbreak.jpg

SLwindbreakopen.jpg

Our cover also has a part# on the back of it:

129 694 17 25

That's fantastic - many thanks. The part no. matches the one I found in EPC, and the straps are identical to the ones in my car. I will drop by my local dealer tomorrow.

It's a neat storage solution, the only downside being it encroaching just enough to stop me putting my overnight bag in facing front-to-back.

Yup you clearly lose quite a bit of boot space .. there's a fair gap behind the wind deflector. I'd probably only put it in there in the summer.

Went to the dealer this morning and they couldn't figure out which part (colour code) to order for my VIN. I told them the boot lining was grey, but that wasn't good enough! They are going to call Milton Keynes on Monday.

it's deceptive, the depth of the cover is only around 20mm, so it is not a huge amount of boot space that you lose.

If boot space is at that much of a premium, then I'm normally in the C-class

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom