R129 windscreen wiper weirdness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lxb3

Car
'95 S124 E220, '97 SL280, '03 C270CDI, and hopefully soon an '03 S350
Hi all. I noticed some time ago, after changing my wiper for the standard MB24 Bosch one from ECP (at a very good price, thanks again guys!) that it seems to hit the windscreen rubber on the driver's side. I've even gone to the extreme of trimming the rubber wiper blade back with scissors as much as I can, but it still just about catches... did SL's have different length wipers to all the saloons? All the online retailers seem to think it's the same 24" one...

Cheers Dec. I need to have a look and just check it's not catching on the passenger side as well - I don't think it is, but will check. I've lubricated the mechanism, but wonder if there's any way the the eccentric could be off-centre somehow, so it's still slightly "out" when it parks. Mind you, the arm looks like it's fully retracted. Puzzling!

Could you clarify, is the end tip of the wiper blade hitting the side or bottom windscreen trim?

Dec

Did you fit it upside down?

Nice example of a correct sweep patern.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/elec...2-problems-after-fitting-new-wiper-motor.html
Picture source… Technical Curiosities: Mercedes? Monoblade Wiper ? Spannerhead

Mercedes_Monoblade_3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The side - I'll try to get a pic.

Sp!ke - it's not possible to fit them the wrong way round, the clip wouldn't work... surely?!

I'll go and have a look, and prepare myself to be serious embarrassed if that's the problem.

Well, you learn something new every day. I never realised that the MB24 wipers are assymetrical!! I've always just fitted them with the clips as they came... but, measured it and found out that the central pin is about 11.25" from one end, and therefore 12.75" from the other. So, turned the clip round (weird. Those clips are weird.) and presto - no longer hitting the side of the screen.
Thanks Sp!ke!

Ha!

I feel better now knowing I wasnt alone getting this wrong. :)

Speaking of which, how on God's green Earth do they manage to give the impression that the wiper blade changes length during the sweep pattern? The "inside" edge, at the hinged end, is M-shaped... but the outside edge is almost circular. Makes my brain itch.

There must have been MB cars with at least 4 different wiper patterns: W114 (like folded arms); W124 & R129 (eccentric craziness); W116 (WTF?!); and now the modern, more usual design.
...nearly as bad as Mercedes's fun games of Let's Put The Handbrake In a Totally Different Place on Each Different Generation, and "Let's confuse passengers by having seriously unusual seatbelts".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom