r170 230 slk issue with ball joints, steering drag link or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Upex

Car
2001 s320 cdi w220 & 1998 slk 230 komp r170
Hi all,

The wife's slk flagged up bearing play at mot. I replaced both front hubs and set to 0.01 - 0.02mm of float with dial gauge.

However I don't think the garage diagnosed correctly, as with new hubs, if I grab the wheels at 3 and 9 o'clock there is play (pulling one hand in and the other out - twisting as if turning the steering).

The lower arm and ball joint towards the rear of the car has some movement in it if I pull and push the metal rod In and out (at 90deg to the direction the car points) but not sure what part it is / it's called.

I think this maybe the drag link, or centre link, or steering rack?

How do I check if it's the ball joints on the ends of the rack itself, as I don't trust the garage to check it as they quoted me £600 for the front bearings and I really don't think they were needed.

Symptoms are poor handling, vague loose feel, a tad squirmish and needs constant input to hold a straight line.

As said, I've done both front hubs (and bearings of course), New front tyres (that did help make it better, but still not right), new rear tyres to, and I've just ordered a steering damper so will fit that soon to. Car is fast approaching 160,000 miles.

Any help would be great,

Cheers, Upex

Last edited:
If there is no bearing play at all then you will need a drag link based on there being play at 3 and 9 o'clock, to check bottom ball joint either grab the wheel by the alloy wheel and lift up an down or get a leaver bar Oder the tyre and do the same.

At that milage don't overlook lower arm bushes especially if it has a mind of its own on the Raod.

The drag link/steering arms assy is fairly easy to change, but watch out for non-OEM parts.

My son had problems with GSF drag links. Correct part number, wrong part!

Good advice already. You could also take a look at the bottom ball joint that connects the hub to the wishbone. They wear too, and are hard to detect play. You'll need to get a bar in and check for lift in them.
Also have a look at your steering damper. It won't give you play in the system, but does give vagueness and wandery steering when shot. It looks like a little shock absorber, and they are often worn out.

Hi all,

Symptoms are poor handling, vague loose feel, a tad squirmish and needs constant input to hold a straight line.

At a guess, either or both top & bottom front arms are worn and just as likely to be the bushes as ball joints. If, they are original it's time for replacement anyway.

Cheers all, just what I'm after, although I'm ok mechanically, I have no idea which part is which I'm afraid.

Auto-mobile is the bottom ball joint the one at the rear towards back of car (I think that links to the drag link/steering rack thingy?) Also, lower arm bushes, are these the bushes on the mounting points to the car or hub or both? Think the lower arm is a wishbone? Sorry, all the names confuse me.

Peter t, thanks for the heads up. Think I saw your post about sons issue whilst looking for help with this. Saw the rack/link thing on gsf, cheap, so now dubious if this would be ok or not. Do you know what was the issue with your sons and if it's visible when buying, i.e. something in wrong place etc, that could be checked before purchase?

Gazz, thanks for telling me where the bit is, makes me think my above is now wrong, if bottom ball joint is between hub and wishbone. I Needs to find a picture with comments ha ha. I know the steering damper mind, new one on route as I type, so will fit as as in as and see what happens. Think it will help as the one one is old, if not original, but I think there is another issue as wheel play a good amount. I'm surprised it's not all over the road to be honest, as just twisting the wheel moves far more than I think it should.

JJJ - now I'm lost, which bits are the front arms? Far too may, I prefer motorbikes, fewer pieces! Do these arms have ball joints and bushings? And do you mean to check and replace the bushings and or ball joints, or to replace the arms (that have the ball and Bush?).

merc85 thanks for the link, I've been struggling to find many places that sell it, ecp is a no go, and they my usual place. So could come in handy if I can figure out that I need the drag link thing, especially considering prefer ts feedback on the gsf one, which is really a shame as that less than £80 lol.

Cheers all, Upex

Lower arm is the wishbone, the bushes are pressed in and bolt to the subframe, the bushes tear and cause wondering while driving

Bottom ball joints bolt to the wish bone and conect to the hub on the other end

The drag link has the track rod ends at either end, the part that develops movement is part of the drag link and not available seperate.

Here's photo of the top & bottom front arms, one's on the left are top and larger to the right are the bottom (the two smaller items are track rod ends). Both arms are mounted via two bushes and one ball joint.

Last edited:
Cheers auto & JJJ.

Are the lower arm / wishbone the same as bottom front arms then? Ie the bigger ones in JJJ picture? And are these then the same thing as the upper and lower control arms?

Or do I have an upper front arm, a lower front arm and a wishbone, a upper control arm and lower control arm? Like an octopus, arms everywhere!

Thanks, upex

Last edited:
Cheers auto & JJJ.

Are the lower arm / wishbone the same as bottom front arms then? Ie the bigger ones in JJJ picture? And are these then the same thing as the upper and lower control arms?

Yes

Or do I have an upper front arm, a lower front arm and a wishbone, a upper control arm and lower control arm? Like an octopus, arms everywhere!

No

Thanks, upex

If you going to replace them buy a leading brand like Lemforder, Febi or Meyle. There's plenty of non branded or own brand stuff for sale, eBay.co.uk & eBay.de are good examples of what's on offer.

If you look at the picture of the draglink here, you can see that the centre section is slightly lower than the ends.

On the GSF one, this section was higher rather than lower.

Thanks Peter, at least now know what to look for!

Thanks for clarifying JJJ, think I'm starting to grasp whats what now, mine of.

If it transpires that the buses are gone on the upper or lower arms etc, is the replacement the full arms, or just to replace the bushes? And should I change the ball joints to etc as they probably just as bad, and might as well whilst I'm in there?

Thanks,

Upex

Well, I was changing out the atf today so took off the old steering damper, and boy was it shot! No resistance for 7/8 of it, the only resistance was weak and in the last 8th before fully closed and when I compressed that by hand, easily, the remaining oil squirted out all over me.

Put the new one on, and although I've only been round the block, it appears to have fixed most, if not all the issues. I still think there is some free play in the joints, bushing or rack, but I'll see how the new gets on with it for a week or two before exploring further as spent far too much on the car of late, so be nice to have a bit of time off buying parts lol.

Moral of the story, I should have changed the damper the day I got the car, it was clearly shot then to! If anyone is ever in doubt if they need a new one, just so it, for 2 bolts and £20, why the heck not?

Now I just need to see if there is one on the S class and if so, if that's dead to!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom