R170 SLK cigarette lighter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilvB

Car
500SL
By continually twisting her phone converter in the cigarette lighter, my wife has managed to disconnect the cigarette lighter from its plug inside the centre console.

I have removed the ciggie lighter, but the wiring on the plug inside the console isn't long enough to pull it through the hole in order to reconnect it.

Can't find any threads that solve this issue, and the only thing I can think of is the complete removal of the centre console, whih seems a tad drastic for such a simple problem.

Even then, this doesn't overcome the issue of the wiring being too short, so there must be some way of overcoming the problem without all the kerfuffle, else how the hell was it fitted in the first place? Is there some secret panel that allows hand access to the wiring in situ?

Any help appreciated.

Not being familiar with the model, I don't know if there is an easy to remove facia. So……….

Are they standard spade connectors? If so, two male + two female insulated connectors + two sections of wire/cable to make up an extension. Use two sets of needle nose pliers, one to hold existing connector in the hole and another to reach in to connect new male to existing female, twice.

Last edited:
Not being familiar with the model, I don't know if there is an easy to remove facia. So……….

Are they standard spade connectors? If so, two male + two female insulated connectors + two sections of wire/cable to make up an extension. Use two sets of needle nose pliers, one to hold existing connector in the hole and another to reach in to connect new male to existing female, twice.

Negative - it's a block type connector that slides on to a couple of lugs at the base of the cigarette lighter.

The problem is getting hold of the block connector in the first place. I can get hold of it with a pair of tweezers through the hole, but the wires aren't long enough to allow me to pull it up through the hole so as to reconnect it (or attach extension wires - unless you mean I do that once I have the centre console off).

Rgds/Phiil

Hi Dec,

It looks like this:

Attachments

• Merc1.jpg
    Merc1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Merc2.jpg
    Merc2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 16
Negative - it's a block type connector that slides on to a couple of lugs at the base of the cigarette lighter.

The problem is getting hold of the block connector in the first place. I can get hold of it with a pair of tweezers through the hole, but the wires aren't long enough to allow me to pull it up through the hole so as to reconnect it (or attach extension wires - unless you mean I do that once I have the centre console off).

Rgds/Phiil

No, I meant grip it firmly with needle nose pliers allowing you use a second set to push on the extension wires but never mind, Dec has posted how to remove trim link for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom