R171 (SLK) vario roof not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BfgSLKMan

North Germany and Sometimes South Germany
Car
S213 220d AMG Line (his) and A238 220d AMG Line (hers)
So roof was last used about 5 weeks ago (all good). Wife went to use yesterday and nothing happens when she toggles the centre console switch. I have checked the fuses, plug connection to the underside of the switch and also used the manual release screw (in the roof above the rear view mirror) to release the latches (all moves freely).

Anybody got some quick tips I should be looking at?

Car is 2008 model (very early facelift car) which we have had from new and never had an issue with.

Many thanks

Does the instrument cluster indicate that the roof is in operation when you move the actuation knob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like time to get it on STAR then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feared that might be the case. Final check, apart from the boot separator is there a switch/sensor that can be checked?

I honestly couldn't tell you, but by the fact that the instrument cluster doesn't indicate that the roof is in operation when you operate the switch it sounds like the switch logic is failing somewhere.

I've got a smart module fitted (since about 2009) so maybe this has gone tits(?). I 'll get me tools out at the w/e and have look. Think i'll remove this and then if the roof works leave it off as we hopefully will be selling the car this summer for my wife's new E Class (well if Mercedes is gracious enough to build one with COMMAND and WSC as advertised in their brochure...:dk::fail:). I'll let you know how I get on.

So I removed the smart box and it worked first time, guess I may have found the fault. I'll have a play at the weekend, but SWMBO is now happy as she has a working roof and just put the summer alloys (17" 10 spoke dark grey) back on.:banana:

Hi All...
It's been about 3 years since I was last on here and have since bought an SLK 200 (R171), but miss my 230!
My roof is giving a bit of bother! It's the rear passenger side quarter-light which sometimes won't open.
It seems to work when the car is cool in the morning, but once the sun shines on it, it definitely won't open! It closes every time without a problem.
I left it in with a local garage a fortnight ago and they put it on the computer saying it needs a new window motor.
But it's worked every time since they had a poke at it, so I'm wondering could it be a bad connection or is there a temperature sensor? It's starting to play up again now... Any advice before I splash out on a new window motor kit?
Thanks

JulsM

Hi, remember that all the rubbers needs to be oiled regularly to keep them waterproof and allow easy motion of the frame/windows. You can buy special rubber oil (I know what it's called here in Germany but have never bought any in UK).

I did remove by rear windows about 12 months ago as part of an overhaul as I discovered all the drain channels were clogged up (hence the bad smelling interior my wife didn't tell me about....). I cleaned all the runners/channels and regreased and everything was much quieter, maybe this would be a good first step?

Hi, remember that all the rubbers needs to be oiled regularly to keep them waterproof and allow easy motion of the frame/windows. You can buy special rubber oil (I know what it's called here in Germany but have never bought any in UK).

I did remove by rear windows about 12 months ago as part of an overhaul as I discovered all the drain channels were clogged up (hence the bad smelling interior my wife didn't tell me about....). I cleaned all the runners/channels and regreased and everything was much quieter, maybe this would be a good first step?

I bought that special oil from Germany, (but can't remember the name). Also my drain channels are ok, but the quarterlight closes every time without fail and always opens without fail in the morning / when cool... But won't open later in the day or when the sun has been shining on the car. Someone suggested this may sugest a faulty relay (in the boot?)

Could be that the rubbers are stickier with some kind of contaminant which is exacerbated by the heat? Sounds like the system works normally other wise? Might be an idea to alcohol rub clean the inside of the weather proof strip the windows drop down through and see if this makes a difference?? (I would say petrol as its an excellent degreaser but too many people would disapprove these days :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom