R171 SLK280 FL on 17's, Harsh Ride, Options?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
Having finally got my SLK280 back and starting to enjoy driving it, I (and SWMBO in the passenger seat) find the ride a bit harsh. ATM she's on a staggered set of Hankook Ventus tyres, 245/40 on the rear and 225/45 on the front (soon to need replacing due to outer edge wear and buggered tracking, now fixed).

Interestingly, the original road tests of the R171 on 17's commented on the harsh ride and suggested it would be better on the standard 16's rather than the optional (as fitted to the test car) 17's.

I obviously have 2 options :

1. The cheap and easy option is to change the Hankooks to something better, based on experience with my S204 and previous 968 cab I'd lean towards Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance for the fronts and Eagle F1 Assymetric 3's for the rears. Cost to change all 4 about £4-500.

2. Change to 16" rims and new tyres. Brand new I'd be looking at about £1100 minus what I could get selling the 17's, and even looking on eBay I would not do much better buying a second hand set, getting them refurbed and installing new tyres.

Would appreciate thoughts and experiences from other owners of R171FL cars. Having converted my S204 from 16's and Contisports to 17's and Goodyears, transforming the ride and drive experience for the better, I'm not sure which is the better way forward!

Why consider different versions of Goodyears fronant rear? Surely matching all 4 in terms of tread , compund, design etc would be preferable? Also Assmettric 3's are now obsolete and replaced by Assymentric 5's with supposedly improved wet weather performance.

Goodyear tyres are generally thought to offer improved ride comfort, what load index are the Hankook tyres? I imagine you only need 91 or 93.

The Efficientgrips score better on noise etc than the Assy's but are not available in 245/40 R17 unfortunately. Equally the Assy 3's score better than the 5's.

I thought your car has the Sport Package? If so, I would have expected it to be on 18-inch wheels and the (relative) harshness is borne of the springs / dampers rather than the wheel & tyre combination.

My wife's facelift R171 SLK350 had the Sports Package and 18-inch wheels and the ride on that was pretty firm, although it was much more plush than that on the R56 MINI Cooper S on Sports Suspension and 17-inch run-flats that preceded it, so I guess it's all relative. Her current R172 SLK55 is also on 18-inch wheels but doesn't have the Sports Suspension package and the ride is much softer and less jarring on less-than-perfect surfaces than the 350 was.

If your car does have the Sport Package then you will be limited regarding fitting smaller diameter rims due to the larger front brakes.

No mention of Sports package on the build sheet, just code 485 (Comfort Running Gear).

Looking a little deeper into this, the cost of changing the 4 tyres is £375 fitted, whereas buying a set of aftermarket 16's with tyres is £533 - £158 more.Alloy complete wheel: DEZENT TZ Silver painted / Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 205/55 R 16 91 W - mytyres.co.uk

Tempted to get the 16's and either sell the 17's (rears still have decent tread left but fronts are close to needing replaced due to outer shoulder wear), which would reduce the cost to less than the 4 x 17" tyres. Alternativly, if I don't like the 16's I cold sell them effectivly brand new but be £100 out of pocket.

No mention of Sports package on the build sheet, just code 485 (Comfort Running Gear).
Ahh... OK - I must be mistaken. I thought you had the bootlip spoiler and red seatbelts on your car, but obviously not. My bad, as the Americans say :oops:

Goodyear F1 asymetric 3.4.or5 are very comfortable along with Dunlop maxx RTs. Experiment with tyre pressures at minus 5 psi perhaps and finally switch to 16s which would make the greatest difference.

All on hold ATM - was about to pull the trigger on the set of 16's linked above when I suddenly thought - radius bolts on genuine MB rims - and I have a brand enw shiny set ready ti fit - and quite possibly conical or taper fit on aftermarket. Webpage shows an accesory kit but cannot find details of what it includes, or whether it comes with the rims, phoned Mytyres and am waiting for an email with required info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom