R171 SLK280 MB Mud Flaps Fitted!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrishazle

MB Enthusiast
Car
2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
Acquired a genuine set of brand new genuine MB mud flaps for my R171 facelift SLK280 a while ago, managed to remove the little "winglets" from the rear of the wheel arches (first part of the fitting instructions) OK, tried to fit the rear OS flap, no success so handed the job to local vaillage garage, he succeeded where I had failed.

Originally the rears had SLK in shiny black, but I got a small tube of touch-up paint and lacquer in Fire Opal Red, gave the letters a couple of coats of each, rather pleased with the result. DSCN2867Small.JPGDSCN2868Small.JPGDSCN2869Small.JPGDSCN2870Small.JPG

I had a 250 CDI SLK172 loved it drove it to Croatia and Spain a couple of times,,only sold it after I sold my works van , only two seats with a young granddaughter doesn't work .but had it a couple of years no problems ,great little motor.

Could never get my head around MB putting a diesel into a 2 seat sports car, I have an S204 C220 which is a similar engine to the R172 250Cdi, and the exhaust note from the V6 petrol is exhilliarating roof down, that from the c220 is better closed car and thus inaudible!

Acquired a genuine set of brand new genuine MB mud flaps for my R171 facelift SLK280 a while ago, managed to remove the little "winglets" from the rear of the wheel arches (first part of the fitting instructions) OK, tried to fit the rear OS flap, no success so handed the job to local vaillage garage, he succeeded where I had failed.

Originally the rears had SLK in shiny black, but I got a small tube of touch-up paint and lacquer in Fire Opal Red, gave the letters a couple of coats of each, rather pleased with the result. View attachment 98624View attachment 98625View attachment 98626View attachment 98627
hi there can you tell me where you got these rear flaps please ?

MB dealers sell them. Unless they have stopped doing so as it’s a relatively old model. We have a set on our R171 SLK. It was the first set our local dealer had ever ordered.

MB dealers sell them. Unless they have stopped doing so as it’s a relatively old model. We have a set on our R171 SLK. It was the first set our local dealer had ever ordered.
I called my local dealer earlier today and was told nope we don't sell them by the looks of it . Would they stop supply due to the car being a little older,? Mine is a 2007

I called my local dealer earlier today and was told nope we don't sell them by the looks of it . Would they stop supply due to the car being a little older,? Mine is a 2007
When did you put yours on ?

Ours were fitted in 2005 when the car was new. The usual well known auction sites are probably your best option for genuine ones. The aftermarket ones never look right in my opinion.

R171 mudflaps are NLA from MB, and I think I had no joy searching for aftermarket. I kept looking almost daily on eBay and after some months a genuine unused set came up for auction, so I had a nervous few days while the auction ran but I was luckily the only bidder and the opening bid the seller asked for (with no reserve set!) was about 1/3rd of what he paid for them - he even enclosed the original invoice when he sent them to me, as well as all the fittings and fitting instructions, proper gent, he'd bought them for his wife's car but never got round to fitting them so they'd been gathering dust in his garage for about 8 years - and she no longer had the car!

They look really good, makes the car look wide and squat from the rear.
You must have a steady hand as well.

Ours were fitted in 2005 when the car was new. The usual well known auction sites are probably your best option for genuine ones. The aftermarket ones never look right in my opinion.
The after markets as you say just don't look right . The auctions seem to be mainly R170 rather that 171 not sure if they would be different though . The search will go on ! Thanks for the input.

It's all about the detail so nice job as with the red wheel caps. Very NON-DIY looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom