R171 SLK55 a future classic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
All - do you feel the R171 SLK55 will become a classic.
I know there is a lot of discussion about the this status for the W204 C63….just wondering about the SLK
Thanks

Yep....old enough....and more importantly, rare enough and anything is a classic......even crappy Marina Coupes......because there are only a handful left.....as my neighbour with a chocolate brown one reminds me nearly every time I see him!

All cars can be future classics provided that they are kept in great condition when they get old and not many are left. Why would an AMG Mercedes not be?

Who knows, nice as they are, would you have invested in a Peugeot 205 years ago ??
I would have been absolutely fascinated by a Peugeot back then, that’s 60 years before the even very first car was invented. It would have been mind blowing.

Ahhhh. Peugeot 205, not 205 years 😁

The C63 probably will be. Even though every other car in here is a C63. Good ones will be rare as they do tend to get driven hard.

The SLK55. Possibly if they dont rust into oblivion.
I completely agree. Despite the new price, power and performance difference, it’s like the 205 GTi, R5 GTT, Golf GTi 16v of the future - once they everywhere, but the attrition is high, and only the best survive.

I'm not actually sure that many modern cars will survive long enough to become classics. The myriad sensors and other electronics (ECUs, SAMs, screens, etc.) they rely on are pretty unlikely to still be available in 20-30 years time.

I think the 204 c63 is already a modern classic ( in oem untouched form ) unsure re the slk55.

Mostly the proper classic cars are the ones that hold a nostalgic memory from childhood ( Dads car ) or the very rare ( Again Dad's car ) Even the horrible Allegro has some status at car shows.

Last year i went to Italian Car fest at Brooklands ( Transport Museum ) and out of the 1000's of Italian cars there, the one that almost everyone stopped and took a photograph of was the FIAT Strada in Yellow, the most vasic model - absolutely mint and still owned by the same person from new!

Would i like a Strada or an Allegro ? absolutely not, Been there, not going back - But they are rare.....

The SLK 500 would be a nice car to keep and use occasionally, and i did check out one, but the SL is far more comfy and roomier ( I am getting older now ).

I wouldn't buy ANY car in my budget and just hope that it became a classic and i could make some money back - Just buy one and use it, keep it if you love it, waste loads of money on it and just enjoy:cool:

I had an Allegro back in the mid 80’s, it had engine stabiliser bars in the engine bay, I put a competition clutch in it and it destroyed them all! I couldn’t believe it an ‘A’ series engine with not enough power to pull the wings off a fly, yet it tried to escape the engine bay,I guess it had a low opinion of the car it was attached to, 1275cc great ina mini I put one in my Mini 1000 and a 3” bore exhaust,used to set off car alarms at night doing 30mph in 4th gear:D

I had an Allegro back in the mid 80’s, it had engine stabiliser bars in the engine bay, I put a competition clutch in it and it destroyed them all! I couldn’t believe it an ‘A’ series engine with not enough power to pull the wings off a fly, yet it tried to escape the engine bay,I guess it had a low opinion of the car it was attached to, 1275cc great ina mini I put one in my Mini 1000 and a 3” bore exhaust,used to set off car alarms at night doing 30mph in 4th gear:D
1694804870605.jpeg

Retropower are currently building a pair of Allegros on Honda Integra Type R chassis and running gear:

Retropower are currently building a pair of Allegros on Honda Integra Type R chassis and running gear:

I'm impressed.........that they managed to find one complete bodyshell that hadn't fizzed away completely, let alone two.

I'm impressed.........that they managed to find one complete bodyshell that hadn't fizzed away completely, let alone two.

Haha yes. The second Allegro was in amazingly good condition, and even the first one only had a small amount of rot.

Haha yes. The second Allegro was in amazingly good condition, and even the first one only had a small amount of rot.
Unlike mine which I had many, many moons ago and kept for about 4 months of what was without question the most unsatisfactory, frustrating and soul-destroying car owning experience of my life.
It was a Sandglow-coloured heap of 💩

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom