R171 trim/plastic rattles when roof is up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyrno1

Car
2010 SLK350 SPORT,2006MY Slk280,2007MY Boxster S +2009 Honda Fireblade
Hi guys,
Just a quickie to say is it normal to hear a few plastic/trim creaks when you drive with the roof in place?
It seems 'so much better off ' than on so is there any maintenance needed to help this reduce or stop?
Thanks,Andy.

I think it is....it's the nature of the beast being a retractable roof, though I don't really notice mine anymore.

I've driven an M3 convertible and that was 10x worse with creaks and squeaks :eek:

Mine creaks a bit when going over bumps when I first use the car on any given day. Once the interior's warmed up a bit the creaking goes away. There was another thread on here where someone mentioned a treatment kit available from MB dealers that was designed to address these creaks by lubricating the seals (I think), but when I asked at my dealership they weren't aware of it.

Mine creaks a bit when going over bumps when I first use the car on any given day. Once the interior's warmed up a bit the creaking goes away. There was another thread on here where someone mentioned a treatment kit available from MB dealers that was designed to address these creaks by lubricating the seals (I think), but when I asked at my dealership they weren't aware of it.

Often a light application of a silicon spray applied by cloth to the seals will prevent such noises. There are other proprietary rubber treatments available that are designed to do much the same thing as well as keeping the seals soft and pliable. It is also important that the seals are clean.

if i had the stereo going i wouldnt notice but its very noisy compared to the boxster with its roof up.
And before theres a storm i do realize its a totally different roof construction etc and not as warm in winter as a hard top etc........
i just dislike creaks in a quality branded car.............
Will heat the car up before i next use it to see if that helps!

We find ours creaks after putting the roof back up. After a few miles it seems to settle down and the creaks stop

same here, the roof seems to settle and not rattle after a few miles with it back up

Sounds good guys!
i just used silicone spray around all the rubbers and a few joints to help and hopefully its all good after a few miles : )

Sounds good guys!
i just used silicone spray around all the rubbers and a few joints to help and hopefully its all good after a few miles : )

Andy,
Let me know how you get on with this. I've just moved from a Porsche 911 to a SLK 280 as a daily drive, and the first thing I noticed was the creaking. I did expect a bit of a creak, but after moving from a Porsche - I was a bit suprised.
I dropped the top last week (for the first time) and it was really quiet then.

Hi,
as your last message its really quiet with the top down but i think the drop top 'scuttle-shake' all convertibles have transfer to the roof plastic panels when up!
The noise gets slightly better after the car warms up inside but for a quality brand its not what you would expect.
The wife likes it so thats all that matters now and i do find the 7g auto relaxing compared to a manual drive.
This is just something i guess we have to get use to:rolleyes:
Andy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom