R172 Part Numbers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maurauth

Car
2016 BMW M4 Convertible
I don't suppose anyone in the know could tell me the part number for the AMG rear diffuser from the R172 SLK55? I'm looking to fit a new exhaust to my SLK250 and was wondering how much the genuine AMG diffuser is before I go to an aftermarket seller.

I've managed to get a part number from the main dealer-
A1728851625.

I don't suppose anyone knows how I can check if that's definitely the right one as they've got a price up at £70 which is significantly cheaper than anywhere else, seems strange that a main dealer would sell it so cheaply. Only thing is that it'll be a special order so if it's not right they won't be able to return it...

As far as I know the diffuser is only an insert into the standard AMG bumper, but suggest you check, there are some aftermarket bumpers available too.

I have the 55 and the changes to the body and wheels make it stand out compared to other SLKs

RR

From what I've found elsewhere and looking at pictures of the AMG style bumper and the AMG55 bumper it looks like they're identical so I'm gonna take a chance, for £70 it seems worth a shot, considering aftermarket ones are £300+ and CKS Performance (useless company) are trying to sell the exact same £70 part for £250+VAT!

I've ordered it. Was £78 from the parts desk. Will update this thread with pictures and a confirmation of fitment when I pick it up incase anyone comes across this thread in the future.

I've got a genuine AMG diffuser insert infront of me right now and the part number is

A1728851625

So you have the correct part number.

Ah fantastic, did you change your exhaust? Or how does it look with the AMG diffuser on the stock triangular exits from the 350?

Didn't need to, ordered a set of AMG quad pipes that bolt on in place of the oval ones direct from a German MB dealer (am in Frankfurt a lot), where I got the diffuser from.. so it's a simple bolt off, bolt on job, don't see any point throwing a brand new exhaust away...

Ah yeah, I did think about that but after hearing the Piecha system I couldn't resist pulling the trigger haha.

So far I've never lost money on my modded exhausts come resale, other than the costs of refitting the old and posting the new one to a future buyer. In fact the Larini Systems one I had off my MX-5 has gone up in value due to being out of production and in high demand haha but that sounded incredible, the nicest 4cyl exhaust I've ever heard and just a back box!

Don't suppose you fancy posting some pics of your SLK with the quads and diffuser? To help tide me over the next few weeks haha?

When they're fitted sure.. currently sat on my dining room table waiting for my tame engineer to pop them on.

MB do quad pipes to fit the 350, least ways in Germany they do, the dealer I got them off only sells pukka kit, I've measured the pipes and they fit and it's a simple bolt on job which is good. I bought my 911 from him years ago as he does Porsches to , which I still have. Infact he's just sourced me a genuine 996 bottom end, so everything in the block excluding the head and gearbox for 3k, bargain Porsche arent making any more, when they're gone that's it for the 996 he was saying.
The boys at Hartech are now putting it all back together for me with a refurb on my head and gearbox..should be pretty much a new engine when it comes out.

Haha fair enough, yeah let's see it when it's done!

That sounds sweet, always loved Porsches, never had one myself but my boss was looking at a few 996's for a weekend toy so hopefully he'll let me have a go when he gets round to buying one haha!

To be honest the standard pipes wont look that good with the 55 diffuser as they wont stick out past the diffuser , the 55 diffuser has a fatter moulding hence the quad pipes are longer to stick out by some way so you get sight of that AMG stamping . The standard oval tips are barely flush with the edge of the standard diffuser insert.

Am in no rush to swap them but then again the dining room table isnt the place for them either! :)

Yeah I love my 996, which is why I havent sold it... looking forward to getting it back

To be honest the standard pipes wont look that good with the 55 diffuser as they wont stick out past the diffuser , the 55 diffuser has a fatter moulding hence the quad pipes are longer to stick out by some way so you get sight of that AMG stamping . The standard oval tips are barely flush with the edge of the standard diffuser insert.

Am in no rush to swap them but then again the dining room table isnt the place for them either! :)

Yeah I love my 996, which is why I havent sold it... looking forward to getting it back

You could get them welded rather than bolted and just get the welders to put in a few inches of extra stainless steel so they poke out a bit? I had them keep playing with the pipes when I went to MSL Performance so that my AMG engraved exits poked out on the C-class.

Haha yeah I know what you mean, garage is full of all that sort of stuff, umpteen old mods and parts off cars, as long as it's not in the house I stay out of trouble.

I have no idea how far they should poke out ? any ideas?

With the C class they put it up on the ramp at MSL, made up the Y pipe and the back boxes and then kept clamping the tips in place until they stuck out just enough to see the AMG logo on all 4 tips and then went and welded it when it was spot on. Most good exhaust places should be able to do the same til it's exactly how you want.

As promised here's a pic of the diffuser before fitment, I'll provide photos of it on the vehicle when the Piecha system comes from Germany. At the moment they're out of stock so need to fabricate the system and then ship it, will keep this thread updated!

2akiu0g.jpg

Are you taking the bumper off to fit it or doing it in situ?

I'll most likely see if the exhaust fitters can whack it on or if they'll let me do it whilst the car is still in the air before they start. Makes sense at least so they can ensure the Piecha quads line up with the cutouts.

Attachments

• 20150615_173128.jpg
    20150615_173128.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20150615_173425.jpg
    20150615_173425.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20150615_173143.jpg
    20150615_173143.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back