R172 SLK Luggage cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contracts34

Car
2014 SLK250
Does anybody have any tips on how to stop the rattling of the luggage cover when it is closed. I assume it is coming from one of the catches, but it's damn irritating

The only time I've heard any rattle from the luggage cover on my wife's R172 is when the latch mechanism hasn't been perfectly engaged on both sides. Is that what's happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I've heard any rattle from the luggage cover on my wife's R172 is when the latch mechanism hasn't been perfectly engaged on both sides. Is that what's happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it seems to be correctly engaged on both sides, but there is a bit of play and I can't see any adjustment.

How about some judiciously positioned felt pads?

How about some judiciously positioned felt pads?

Thanks, I had considered something like that, but it's how to fix them to last, as the catches are being opened/closed quite regularly

Is it definitely the luggage cover rattling, or something under the false floor in the toolkit?

Pretty sure it's the luggage cover. More of a creaking noise than a rattle really, when I think about it.
Hmm...

Have you tried rubber lube on all the seals around the hood mechanism? It's notoriously difficult to work out where some noises are coming from...

Hmm...

Have you tried rubber lube on all the seals around the hood mechanism? It's notoriously difficult to work out where some noises are coming from...

Yes good point, I'll pick some up and give it a try. Any ideas which is the best or is it a case of any will do?

Gummipflege is a favourite recommendation, but I'd try a bog standard silicone spray from Halfrauds.

Hi
I picked up some Holts Silicone Spray from my local motor factors for £3.99. https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/silicone-spray/

States it's for lots of things including rubber seals around convertible roof, doors etc, so just give it a go with that whilst the weather was good. Temporarily disabled the Smart Top so I could stop the roof in various positions to access all the seals.

Will see how it goes now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom