R172 slk55 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenzedUP

MB Enthusiast
Car
NA
I took this for a quick test drive, I wasn't planning to asp I wasn't there for this car anyway but it was parked outside and I wondered what it's like to drive compared to my R171 AMG.

Wasn't overly impressed to be honest, more refined than mine, seats seem to be more comfy.

Lacking in noise, and I know it's not fair as mine is modified but mine even felt quicker and more urgent and sounded miles better.

The V8 on the 172 seems too quiet for my liking, even standard R171 AMG sounds better.

Gearbox didn't give you full control in S mode, I wanted to down shift a couple of times but it did not let me..

I did like the blips on downshifts, wish mine had that!

I wasn't disappointed with it but I wasn't impressed, definitely not getting rid of mine for one!

Here are some images:

moonloops said:
Buy it, just for the colour !

Lol!
I prefer the colour on mine though.

I don't know if it was just me but when I floored it in S mode it didn't Rev all the way to 7k? More like 6800k before it shifts up.

I'm not sure if we have 172 55 owners here who can confirm.

I too prefer the colour of yours but you must remember what you have done to yours!
How would the 172 be with the same mod's.
I am not disrespecting yours at all it is very close to my dream car!

Tony

Our R172 55 has the Performance Pack, so may not be directly comparable, but it will pull through to pretty much 7000rpm at full throttle, although those last 200rpm are neither here nor there really. If you want the last word in control and performance, then simply switch to manual mode. And of course the 172's allow you to switch of TC/ESP completely if you so desire remember.

I agree that the valves in the exhaust make it quite quiet around town, but when the valves open at WOT, the sound is great. And the blips on down changes and barps on upshift are very addictive. Personally I think they've got the balance right with the PP cars (I always though the non-PP was a bit too boulevard cruiser for me) - a good mix of comfort, rort and performance, particularly so with a DMS map I'm told.... ;)

Were the car my daily driver, I'd look to switch out the resonator box for an X-pipe, but Mrs Ringa uses it nearly all the time, so I'd be quickly busted I fear...

The interior looks a different league....other than that, id much prefer yours Joe.

They look best in black IMO.

The interior looks a different league....other than that, id much prefer yours Joe.

They look best in black IMO.

Agreed, the newer one really is an ugly piece of metal in comparison.

Wouldn't say it's ugly, I'm not keen on the exterior, the R171 AMG looks better and you can distinguish one from the normal SLKs

The car was nice, just felt soft to me compared to the R171AMG.

Interior is no doubt well put together and feels a step up from the 171.

Car felt solid, steering feel takes getting use to on the new one, the steering on mine feels better.

Your one looks mikes better than 172.. Front looks fugly on 172 in my opinion .Not aggresive enough!

My Wifes R172 55, is not far away from your test drive car, in my opinion it really is not a good car to drive, fast yes, gives some sporty exhaust tones in sport mode, but the suspension set up is so really poor, the car is so front heavy, dread to think how that will handle on a track.
I think C240sport97 pinpointed this car in a great write up previously, and further to my own experience he was right, and on a lesser scale the R172 over the R171, which we previously owned in a 200 format, is so much harder to keep clean. Why did we buy it, over a R172 200 new, this particular 55 was a bargain for its age and milage, over a new 200 model, so we brought it:dk:

Don't much like the weird instruments on that red one; are they all like that?

ricky s said:
My Wifes R172 55, is not far away from your test drive car, in my opinion it really is not a good car to drive, fast yes, gives some sporty exhaust tones in sport mode, but the suspension set up is so really poor, the car is so front heavy, dread to think how that will handle on a track. I think C240sport97 pinpointed this car in a great write up previously, and further to my own experience he was right, and on a lesser scale the R172 over the R171, which we previously owned in a 200 format, is so much harder to keep clean. Why did we buy it, over a R172 200 new, this particular 55 was a bargain for its age and milage, over a new 200 model, so we brought it:dk:

Didn't drive it long enough to know about the ride, it felt OK, felt more of a relaxed car rather than a sports car.
I agree it did feel nose heavy, I think that's what I meant when I said the steering felt weird and the car felt bigger than it actually is which is weird for Mercedes, normally other way round.

It's not a bad car but I was expecting it to be better than my R171AMG, even with my mods!

This is just my personal opinion anyway, someone else might find it excellent and faultless!

I'm sure with a few mods it will be great.

E55BOF said:
Don't much like the weird instruments on that red one; are they all like that?

Yep, as far as I know, they are all like this.

Is the 172 V8 the same 5.5 they use in other models i.e E63, without the turbo's???

I think the R172's interior looks better put together but so it should be as it is new, but I am not really sure about the exterior styling! The new SL works better I think.

Your R171 looks more complete and more aggressive, the colour and the wheels on that particular R172 look a bit "meh" for me. :dk:

Is the 172 V8 the same 5.5 they use in other models i.e E63, without the turbo's???
Basically yes.

It's the M157 without the turbo's, but runs a higher compression ratio and it also employs cylinder shutoff so it drops down to 4-cylinders under light load / low engine speed conditions. It's type code is M152.

Basically yes.

It's the M157 without the turbo's, but runs a higher compression ratio and it also employs cylinder shutoff so it drops down to 4-cylinders under light load / low engine speed conditions. It's type code is M152.

CR is 12.6:1 which is very high for a road car. On a long run ours makes a measured 33-35mpg however, which is remarkable for an engine like that.

Sure it's a heavy car at about 1700kg, but it's never supposed to be a Lotus Elise. In my view the Performance Pack is a must, as without it the suspension is too soft and the drive is woolly and inaccurate by comparison. I drove one at M-BW and it was really nice, but that car was also spec'd with the PP, for obvious reasons.

If only they'd kept the nose styling when they moved to R172.....

R1NGA said:
CR is 12.6:1 which is very high for a road car. On a long run ours makes a measured 33-35mpg however, which is remarkable for an engine like that. Sure it's a heavy car at about 1700kg, but it's never supposed to be a Lotus Elise. In my view the Performance Pack is a must, as without it the suspension is too soft and the drive is woolly and inaccurate by comparison. I drove one at M-BW and it was really nice, but that car was also spec'd with the PP, for obvious reasons. If only they'd kept the nose styling when they moved to R172.....
1700KG, Wow!! Didn't know they're that heavy! R171 AMG is 160KG lighter @ 1540KG

Edit: According to Parkers it's 1610KG for the R172 AMG.

1540KG for the R171 AMG.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom