R172 SLK55 - first impressions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great to see you are enjoying your new toy Mocas.
That is a lovely looking car

I seem to remember agreeing to give you a ride in it once it had arrived. We'll have to fix that up sometime.

Great write-up Mocas, I normally get bored reading 'reviews' but yours reflects the real world aspects of owning a GHD...errr I mean SLK55...and it is genuinely interesting.

If I was going to try track driving, quite frankly I'd need to have the track to myself. I'd also want to have a spare set of wheels and tyres so as not to abuse my road set, and then there's the question of insurance (I'm sure my policy doesn't cover track driving, whereas it does cover Germany...).

There's a circuit/airfield day suitable at for all levels. Some offer exactly what you describe; 1 car out at a time, driver tuition, only plastic cones to hit so no insurance issues, tyre fitting service.

Goodwood is a nice circuit but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as the 1st circuit to try out. It's fast and has limited run-off areas.

If you're ever tempted to have a track day, start a thread and I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpful suggestions.

Bloody marvellous old chap. A pleasure to read. Deserves a kiss x

Bloody marvellous old chap. A pleasure to read. Deserves a kiss x

Er, thanks, but don't believe everything SPX says about SLK drivers... :crazy::D

Thanks for writing such a great review.

I've been thinking of ordering one of these for a few months now and you are making a good case for me going ahead.

The instrument display that you mentioned being a basic monochrome is now a full colour screen from 1 June but you may not have wanted to know that!

I believe that tyre pressure monitoring is also now available as an option. I think that the tyre pressure loss system still comes as standard.

Thanks for writing such a great review.

I've been thinking of ordering one of these for a few months now and you are making a good case for me going ahead.

The instrument display that you mentioned being a basic monochrome is now a full colour screen from 1 June but you may not have wanted to know that!

I believe that tyre pressure monitoring is also now available as an option. I think that the tyre pressure loss system still comes as standard.

That's the downside of ordering a car in January, I suppose - by the time it's been delivered they're about to introduce the changes for the next model year, hence why I was also unable to order a DAB-equipped radio for the Yeti. (In fact, there a facelifted Yeti due out in a few months' time, but I like it how it is.)

I hadn't really appreciated that tyre pressure monitoring and tyre pressure-loss warning were two separate systems - my old SLK used to tell me if a tyre had lost pressure and I assumed this one would too, but now you mention it, I don't recall seeing anything about it in the SLK's menus. I specified TPM as an option on the Yeti, though.

Are you aware of any other MY2014 changes for the SLK?

The '55 gets another 300bhp and will do 80mpg.

Well, 15 tissue box covers should sort out the first bit. There must be something else on eBay that'll quadruple the mpg...

Are you aware of any other MY2014 changes for the SLK?

The only other changes that I know of are with paint colours.

Calcite white has been replaced with Polar white which is much whiter than calcite, which has always looked cream to me.

Galenite silver has also been discontinued as has the Designo colour Zircon red. Not sure anyone would have ever ordered this as it was about a £5,000 option!

Hyacinth red is now available as a special order. Only seen pictures of this on the new E Class and it looks quite nice in the photos.

The metal roof has also been discontinued and you can now only have the glass roof either with or without a headliner or magic sky. The latter two being options.

How have you found the magic sky? Do you think it is worth having? My concern with the standard pano roof is that it might let in too much heat and light, especially in this weather.

The metal roof has also been discontinued and you can now only have the glass roof either with or without a headliner or magic sky. The latter two being options.

How have you found the magic sky? Do you think it is worth having? My concern with the standard pano roof is that it might let in too much heat and light, especially in this weather.

On the basis of anecdotal reports on the forum, it seems that the metal roof has not been fitted for quite some time - perhaps since the beginning of this year.

I'm a little underwhelmed by Magic Sky Control. Not really sure why I ordered it; I knew exactly what to expect as it was fitted to the loan car I had. I suppose something told me that if I didn't order it, I'd miss having it. :dk: Can't really say it's worth spending almost five times the cost of the normal panoramic roof on it, though.

Agreed. My roof is glass, with the plastic headliner in place. Wonder what it would be like if I carefully removed it? :D:D

Thought it might be!!

Might be something for the next owner to have a go at though!

A thoughtful and well-written review, thank you.

To this reactionary, it is disappointing to find some gizmos have a purpose, but most sound entirely unnecessary. I hate regulating speed through constant braking (especially in others!) so the distronic plus sounds 'orrible.

On the V8 start up blip - embrace it, V8s were never intended to be discreet - a straight six is the silent killer!

On the V8 start up blip - embrace it, V8s were never intended to be discreet - a straight six is the silent killer!

I quite enjoyed it at first, but hearing it every time I start the engine (and also when it starts itself in Eco mode) becomes a little tiresome. I mean, if I wanted to blip the throttle I'd use my right foot to do so, but would do so sparingly. If MB insist on programming the car to do this for me, they might at least have restricted it to Sport mode, affording me at least some degree of control.

To this reactionary, it is disappointing to find some gizmos have a purpose, but most sound entirely unnecessary. I hate regulating speed through constant braking (especially in others!) so the distronic plus sounds 'orrible.

I'm afraid I have a weakness for gadgets when it comes to cars, so much so that I seriously considered ordering an SL instead as it had a wider range of available options. However, that plan changed when I'd managed to get the price of an SL350 up to around £90,000...

The new SLK has lots more to play with than my old one did (and that was well equipped for its day) but, like you, I'd rather not have the car doing things that other drivers might attribute to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom