R172 SLK55 - first impressions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi MOCAS,

What an in-depth analysis and informative write-up that is - excellent review. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it MOCAS. This is what forums are all about, valued members such as yourself giving your own expressive opinions on the likes/dislikes of a great motor car- invaluable information for any prospective purchaser.

With reference to the Keyless-Go concerns, I have Keyless-Go on both my CL and A8L and the only real issues to date with the CL are the replacement of both the n/side and o/side door handles because of the push-button microswitch (central locking/global window closure feature) failures – common fault I’m afraid, ingress of moisture/water.

Also, worthy of note, if the Keyless-Go key is in the immediate vicinity of the car (approx. 1-2 metres, even if its in your pocket) and the door handle is washed/hosed down with water, the car will unlock (if previously locked) automatically, (capacitor sensor system – active for approx. 72 hours until otherwise interrupted) it will then automatically lock itself following a 30/40 second delay if either door has not been opened. Furthermore, the boot lid and the car cannot be closed/locked when you attempt to lock it if a Keyless-Go key is left in the car or boot, (in your coat for example) thus avoiding any possible risk of you inadvertently being locked out.

BTW, the car looks absolutely fantastic and the colour really does it justice. The badges, well, that’s another issue, we won’t even go there, suffice it to say that the very presence of those twin dual tailpipes and the rear aero-finned diffuser say it all really – the car needs no other introduction - enjoy the car MOCAS.

Best Regards,

Dash1

Dash1, thanks for your kind words and the extra information on the vagaries of Keyless Go. The bit about the car unlocking automatically if the door handle is washed or hosed down is particularly intriguing - I shall have to try that for myself. And I'll keep my fingers crossed in the (no doubt, forlorn) hope that the microswitches are more resistant to water ingress these days.

Dash1, thanks for your kind words and the extra information on the vagaries of Keyless Go. The bit about the car unlocking automatically if the door handle is washed or hosed down is particularly intriguing - I shall have to try that for myself. And I'll keep my fingers crossed in the (no doubt, forlorn) hope that the microswitches are more resistant to water ingress these days.

Hi MOCAS,

No problem at all, glad to be of help.

In addition to my above comments, I have sent you a PM with a whole host of information on the Keyless-Go system. You will find some of it extremely technical in parts but very informative and interesting. The system is very complex, as you will come to appreciate when you start to read the material. Take your time and go through it section by section until you feel conversant and comfortable with it.

I hope it’s of addition help to you in understanding what the system is all about.

Best Regards,

Dash1

Just came across this review. This car is certainly growing on me - maybe one day when I am bored of my R171 55 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom