R230 (2007 model) Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129Melvin

Car
R231 SL
Just picked up a facelift SL (first of the 3.5 engines, 7 speed gearbox) with the older style Comand (I think its NTG 1 or 1.5, not sure). Overall not far off my previous 2010 car but the Comand is a step backwards for sure!

First of all amazed that in 2007 Merc didnt have Bluetooth - is this right? Mine does have the phone kit according to build sheet and theres a clunky holder thing in the centre compartment.

Anyway, dont use the phone in car much so thats no biggie, but I tried putting an MP3 CD in the front loader and it says format not recognised.

Will MP3 CD's work in the rear CD changer in the storage bin behind seat?

Thank you!

Assuming you have full NTG1 command and not Audio 20 then the front loading slot should be for dvds. Cant remember if it also plays CDs? pretty sure it should.....I will check later. You can burn DVD+r discs with mp3s and they will play in that slot....or at least mine do. Only thing I have found is that it seems to be very sensitive to disc manufacturer. Some play some don't. TDK always seem to work so I have stuck with them Maybe true of CDs too.

Yup its a DVD slot but so far I've only gotten it to play an Audio CD. When I put in a DVD-R or a CD-R burned with MP3 files it thinks about it for a few minutes and then says no...I selected the 'MP3 CD' format in the menu before.

Yes definitey DVD+r. I went through this when I first got mine. DVD-r don't work at least not in mine

My SL500 R230 has NTG1 and the multidisc player behind the seat accepts and plays MP3 CDs quite happily. I’m not sure why anyone would claim it’s slow. The music plays at the right speed:)

The problem with it (and any other gateway products, like Dension) is that the basic interface of the NTG1 sucks, big time. Appallingly awful would be the best way to describe it. Replacing it with something else is not something I’ve so far got around to, but more options are becoming available.

In the meantime, 6 MP3 CDs provide a fair bit of music.

Yes mine plays MP3s in the changer also. If you burn onto a DVD using a DVD+r disc then you can get all the music you want /need on one disc. I think I have about 70 albums on one disc which plays in he front slot.

Yes mine plays MP3s in the changer also. If you burn onto a DVD using a DVD+r disc then you can get all the music you want /need on one disc......
also no problem with MP3 CDs in the 6CD Changer, using Verbatim -R. Max number of individually numbered tracks is 99, but you can agglomerate several tracks into a single file to fill the space
Important to clean the head frequently to best ensure reliable music reads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom