R230 ABC problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WantSL55

Car
SL55 - 030 Performance package
The left rear strut on My 2004 SL55 has suddenly become inoperative.

Driving the car on Thursday and got a "grey" ABC fault "visit workshop" message, drove 10 miles to get home and could feel no difference with ride/handling. Switched off engine whilst moving cars to park it and when restarted no fault displayed. Parked car in drive. Saturday morning went to move car and thought that it looked low at the rear tried raising car on the ride height switch and rear left not rising, checked underneath and can not see any sign of leakage. Drove it round the block and rear left definitely not doing anything. No warnings on dashboard except when reversing back into drive and the rear wheel goes into a pothole I get a "red" warning car too low, continue reversing out of the pothole and the warning goes away.
Checked reservoir and it seems overfull - due to the rear strut being compressed?

Any thoughts on the likely fault I am leaning towards sensor/electrical or valve block but any advice on where to start gratefully received.

Get the fault codes read with Star diagnostics or similar OBD2 scanner.

I recently had an intermittent ABC fault that turned out to be the plunger sensor in the front right strut.

I bought a MB2 scanner off eBay and it identified the fault straight away.

I'm currently in the process of replacing the entire ABC system with traditional coilovers.

I will have all the parts for sale in a couple of weeks if you need any cheap replacement parts.

Can you send me the link to the scanner you bought?

I might be needing the parts so keep me in mind.

Thanks

I bought an iCarsoft MB ii scanner.

You can pick them up on eBay for about £130.

It displays a lot of performance data as well as just fault codes.

In the ABC section it gives information on the pump psi, individual strut heights and more.

So the car is now fixed and was not that expensive ( at least compared to some of the ABC issues anyway)

Decided that it was time to invest in a STAR clone so £230 and a week later a parcel arrived from China. Inside what appears to be top quality system, paired this with a £45 Dell laptop off eBay and had a working STAR system. Spent a couple of days getting to know it offline and then hooked it up to the car.

Ran through the various tests and got the rear strut to move which proved the serviceability of all the hydraulic components and in particular the valve block which was the generally perceived culprit. It also showed that the rear level sensor was not changing value. Did a few more checks tried driving the car up the drive and the rear dropped to the ground again. Therefore 99% certain rear sensor or wiring. Got a rear sensor for £72 from local Mercedes dealer, had a quick look at changing myself but eventually drove car (very carefully and slowly!) 200 metres up the road to local independent garage who changed it in just over an hour for £60.

All in a bit of a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom