R230 After Market Head Unit - Poor FM Reception

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WolfieS

Car
2005 SL350
Hi,

I had asked for assistance with poor (no) FM reception after installing an after-market Head Unit and received excellent assistance to identify that I needed to connect an additional 'switch-on' supply to specific wires leading to the Audio Gateway ... oh, a 2005 SL350 with (now removed) Command and BOSE Amp. Connecting to the AGW loom provided me with FM reception, however, that reception is not as good as the OEM and I would wish to improve things if I can.

I have fitted an in-line powered FM amplifier, but now wonder whether I should remove it and fit something else?

Has anybody had experience, following replacement of their Head Unit, of solving poor FM reception? I would also consider amplifying the DAB signal, which does not seem all that strong either - a combined amplifier perhaps? My DAB Aerial is one of those that sticks to the windscreen.

Any advise/feedback would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Regards

Wolfgang Souter
Westbury, Wiltshire, UK

There is a lot of electrical noise around the SL windscreen, and DAB antenna placement is critical for decent reception. It may be better horizontal rather than vertical (strangely)

We don't get problems with FM reception and Alpine when we retrofit, so there must be something else wrong (duff fakra -> ISO aerial connector ?)

R

There is a lot of electrical noise around the SL windscreen, and DAB antenna placement is critical for decent reception. It may be better horizontal rather than vertical (strangely)

We don't get problems with FM reception and Alpine when we retrofit, so there must be something else wrong (duff fakra -> ISO aerial connector ?)

R
Thanks Richard ... I presume that I cannot unpeel the DAB Aerial and re-stick it horizontally?

The fakra to ISO Aerial connector looks fine and the FM reception is okay - simply not quite as good as it was prior to the head unit change. Some static-type interference on Radio 4 during some parts of my commute that were not there when the OEM unit was fitted.

Regards

Wolfie Souter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom