R230 AMG FRONT SUSPENTION NIGHTMARE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Popeye819

Car
AMG SL55
Hi all.
Hope your all coping with this Covid 19.....

Raised the car up to the mid setting and jacked up front and back for a few weeks while cleaning,
wheels off ect...
Drop the front back down on Friday, o/s stayed in the same position. However the n/s has dropped to the lowest setting !!
Dropped the rear down this morning only to find the n/s has stayed at mid setting and the o/s is at its highest..... Sodding nightmare.
As this is a new part time project, and I'm still learning ( should have brought some else ! )
Tried ignition on without starting the car ( no intake manifold fitted at the moment) and the lights on the ABC switch are both on, pressing the switch.. Nothing happens ! Car does not respond...
Any views on this please.
Thanks.

Have you tried starting the car and leaving it running for a few mins? Sorry just seen about the inlet manifold.

Id be fitting that and fingers crossed running it up should sort it out.

Hi Not sure if the pump runs off the engine as I have only had the car for a short while and never go around to checking everything out...( Had to go in hospital) only now just got around to check the motor out..

Hi Not sure if the pump runs off the engine as I have only had the car for a short while and never go around to checking everything out...( Had to go in hospital) only now just got around to check the motor out..
According to the pdf its an engine belt driven tandem pump-part power/ steering --part ABC

ps the "forget that" remark was really intended for myself not merc85

Last edited:
Yes, the ABC pump is engine-driven. Once you can run the engine, it should be OK (if it was before, of course).

Correct, the pump is engine driven. I wouldn't worry too much & agree with Gav (merc85) to get the engine running first, do some up & down functions and leave the car to settle overnight.

Good luck, Matt :thumb:

Got my Intake fitted back on now and have been running the motor. all working ok except n/s front stays at the lower setting :wallbash:

You might have a problem with one of the front level sensors. These can be checked / reset with STAR
Ride Height

s-l400.jpg

It might be worth checking that the linkage on the NS front is still intact. I had a similar problem with my R230, and the link rod was no longer attached to the suspension arm...

When we raise ABC cars on the lift, often they will drop to the floor until the engine is started. I wouldn't worry too much.

Hi All

Thought I’ll just give you an update on my suspension issues…..

So… my n/side front and rear legs decided to drop to its lowest setting and o/side are at the highest setting…, reading on here topics that have been covered before over the years and taking to a few people and companies on line. It looks to have been my front Valve block assembly. A new front valve block and accumulator has been ordered and fitted by myself along with new fluid and filter.

Still no luck, but now all seems to be in a worst state than before….

With a tow truck on the way to remove down to my local Merc garage ( had to remove the front bumper just to get it out of my driveway )

At the garage and connected to the Star System, now looks to have a rear n/side faulty shock ☹

£1,200 for the shock and £175 labour… Their placed the motor on the Star again to calibrate but then I have hoses weeping and leaking WTF… And these just had to be mostly under the rear axle ☹ ☹

Axle and just about everything else had to be removed to replace the much-needed hoses of which one had to be made up in Germany as not many people over here carry much stock.

Replaced 1/ rear shock and most of the hoses,4 level sensors, link rod and level sender

So, I picked up the car today and payed in full ☹

Total cost for my suspension is now………£5,111.48

No…sorry I forgot to had on the issue for my None-starting (turned out to be a bad fuse £70 ☹ )

Spent the rest of the day refitting my front bumper, new grill, underbody splash guards. Ect….

And a good hoover out (found the missing 5p and a chocolate… nice.. )

Then off out for a drive, put a m4 driver in his place... 😊 😊 Happy Days..

Cars not missed a beat, but there’s plenty of time for that.

Did I make the right decision buying this car !! Always loved the shape and I could stand and watch that roof going up and down all day 😊 😊 😊

Not sure to be honest but by the time I got to the motorway I had completely forgotten about my troubles ..

So let’s just smile and be happy , if only for a short while 😊

Be careful out there people, and look after your selves

X

Gary.

Wow, I feel your pain. Yes, some of those hoses are a nightmare to replace.

At least you know the work has been done, and you can enjoy the car safe in the knowledge that all is well - change the ABC fluid regularly and you should be able to enjoy trouble free motoring for years to come.

👍

A few thoughts for next time:

Reman shock absorbers are available for half of what you've paid.

Hoses can be made by your local Pirtek station for a fraction of the OE price too.

All 4 level sensors to fail is unheard of. Most likely misdiagnosed.

All in all, congratulations on the getting the car back on the road but forums are a great source for saving money. Worth reading it all up before letting your local garage go wild at replacing everything they can reach.

Ouch ! Glad I’m only running a 350 and no ABC

Much smoother, quieter and so much less expensive. Now for the floodgates to open 😎

Ouch ! Glad I’m only running a 350 and no ABC

Much smoother, quieter and so much less expensive. Now for the floodgates to open 😎
You forgot slower........ :p

A few thoughts for next time:

Reman shock absorbers are available for half of what you've paid.

Hoses can be made by your local Pirtek station for a fraction of the OE price too.

All 4 level sensors to fail is unheard of. Most likely misdiagnosed.

All in all, congratulations on the getting the car back on the road but forums are a great source for saving money. Worth reading it all up before letting your local garage go wild at replacing everything they can reach.
My local indy tells me he can buy the MB branded struts from a supplier for under £400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom