R230 Condensation Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C270 CDI

Car
2003 R230 SL500
Morning all, I'm sure this has been asked/discussed lots before but I have a car full of the dreaded condensation. I've dried it all out and thought I'd cured it - turns out leaving the windows open 1/4 inch stops it, which is great until it rains!!!
I've had a look at the tray on the nearside engine bay and it's bone dry. As is the boot and all the carpets in the car, but the condensation keeps returning and it's annoying me.
I think the best solution will be to buy a small dehumidifier and run it throughout the winter but the question is how do I run a mains lead into my car and still be able to lock it? I know the seals on these cars are very susceptible to damage, so has anyone got any ideas how to do this without causing any harm?

Thanks, and happy new year.

De-humdifiers are good. Be sure to check that all drains are clear. Not sure on your car? but on the W203 the windscreen scuttle is a water trap, which if left blocked leads to all sorts of water ingress/problems.

You may also benefit from a can of scilicone spray grease (Harlfords). Spray it onto a kitchen roll and wipe/clean all of your rubber door & window seals, checking them all for damage at the same time. Be sure to do the boot seal.

As above. Feel carpets, especially in front footwells. You most likely have a leak somewhere.

Do not do what I have done, ie, delay looking for leak and put a cover over the car to keep the rain out. My daughter's old Ford KA is now full of mould and I now have the challenge of getting it fit for sale :(

As above. Feel carpets, especially in front footwells. You most likely have a leak somewhere.

Do not do what I have done, ie, delay looking for leak and put a cover over the car to keep the rain out. My daughter's old Ford KA is now full of mould and I now have the challenge of getting it fit for sale :(

Top Tip for getting rid of mould. Do NOT attempt to do so when the car or the air is damp. Get the car as dry as a bone and nice & warm, then bush and hoover it. A nail brush is good. Trying to remove with any damp will spread it everywhere and leave stains that are really difficult to get out.

check the carpets behind the seats

Is the cabin warm from using heaters when you get out of the car at night? If so then you can try opening windows to give a fresh wave of air before locking up for the night.

As I said, carpets are dry all the way through and the water trap under the bonnet is bone dry. I bought a couple of those little dehumidifier boxes but they don't seem to be making any difference. I know the best answer is to keep it in a garage but mine's too small, and full of motorbikes, so I don't have that option available.

A compact dehumidifier works for me assuming you have an electrical supply handy. I have a dessicant type from Aldi that was £29 last year, but was available again earlier this month at £34. I have got one on a timer in my garaged W126 which is not used this time of year to keep the interior "fresh" as the steering wheel and seat belt webbing kept going slightly moudly despite efforts to clean it. Keeping a window open is not an option as we get field mice and such small rodents.

Cheers Coalville, so how do you run a power lead into the car without having windows open? That's what I want to do but can't work out a way without breaching the seals.

I run a 3amp extension lead through the bottom corner of the door (cable trapped in door seal) - I know it sounds bad practice, but the seal springs back an doesn't get damaged. I also do the same, through the tailgate seal of my 210 estate as wet dogs and short trips means it gets terrible condensation if not dried out.

I have the dehumidifiers or traps as they are called. Had them in my car one in the boot one on back window .Been in there for 2 weeks they are both dry as a bone .Well may not be working , or it as no condensation in side the car .

Like Optimus I have two of them in my car and both bone dry. But definitely lots of condensation. I'm going to buy a small electric dehumidifier this week and run that, see if it works out better.

Neighbour bought some of these small black sacks from ebay. Swears by them. I think you microwave them to re-use them. He uses them on his soft top Vitara and they keep that dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom