R230 Fuel Tanks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MicB

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
The first R230s apparently had a fuel tank fitted that had either no baffles or too few baffles allowing fuel to slosh around in the tank too freely which apart from all else could be heard from within the cabin.......consequently the fuel tank was modified for later cars with additional baffling.

Does anyone know or knows where I might find the answers to the following questions please?

1. When did MB introduce the aforementioned modification?

2. We know that MB supplied a lot of fuel tanks worldwide to replace the aforementioned modified fuel tanks resultant upon one or more baffles breaking away from within the main tank structure.........how many fuel tanks have MB had to replace because of this failure.

3. Did MB introduce a re-design and/or better quality control to overcome the failings of the aforementioned modified tanks during the life cycle of the R230.......if so when?

I have asked MB but unfortunately they have chosen not to answer the questions.

Thanks

Mic

The first R230s apparently had a fuel tank fitted that had either no baffles or too few baffles allowing fuel to slosh around in the tank too freely which apart from all else could be heard from within the cabin.......consequently the fuel tank was modified for later cars with additional baffling.

Does anyone know or knows where I might find the answers to the following questions please?

1. When did MB introduce the aforementioned modification?

2. We know that MB supplied a lot of fuel tanks worldwide to replace the aforementioned modified fuel tanks resultant upon one or more baffles breaking away from within the main tank structure.........how many fuel tanks have MB had to replace because of this failure.

3. Did MB introduce a re-design and/or better quality control to overcome the failings of the aforementioned modified tanks during the life cycle of the R230.......if so when?

I have asked MB but unfortunately they have chosen not to answer the questions.

Thanks

Mic

It's a fairly common issue (the baffles coming loose), but doesn't happen to every car. I don't think MB ever announced any improvement as they never really acknowledged the issue.

My advice is to ask someone like Olly at PCS as they will doubtless have fixed a good few of these and will have an idea as to what model years it is most prevalent on.

It's the one common fault mine hasn't succumbed to yet... why did i just say that? ;)

Hope your not having any problems with yours mic.

Star replaced mine last month but I see this more of a case of "not fit for purpose" than wear and tear of a moving or electrical part.

Fuel tanks are inert and in my opinion should not fail.

Just trying to gather some facts.

Mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom