R230 P30 Nurburgring suspension firmware retrofitted!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goliti

Car
R107 500 SL AMG, SL 55 AMG
All,

I am member of the Spanish Mercedes R107 club (I own a R107 500SL AMG which I am currently restoring) and I also own a 2004 SL55 AMG. First of all, sorry for my English, which is not great.

Looking for upgrades in the ABC system of my SL55 AMG, I realized that MBworld member (Benz Ninja) was able to successfully retrofit P30 Nurburgring suspension firmware in cars with regular ABC suspension. Not only in AMG cars but also in regular R230 cars!

Please see this link to the thread. Members of MBworld are extremely happy with this. Their cars were transformed!

AMG P30 Nurburgring ABC upgrade - MBWorld.org Forums

He was able to do this after many hours of work based on the SL55 AMG with P30 Performance Package offered in US (it was only offered there starting in 06 with the new facelift and the upgrades in ABC through the range -let’s call it ABC 2-). And it only works for R230 cars 2006 till the end of production (with ABC 2). Again, both for regular SL55s and other R230s.

However, I pointed out to him that the 030 package was offered in other countries starting August 2003 and he believes that with a five minutes help, he will also be able to offer this in pre 2006 230s (let’s call them ABC 1 cars) if he is able to track down a European 2003-2005 SL55 with the 030 performance package. He is even offering a nice reward for this 5 minutes help. Please see also this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...mg-reward.html

I just want to share this find. Hopefully someone can help him and we all will have the possibility to enjoy this very nice upgrade in our SL55s pre facelift or in othe R230s.

Saw that thread a while ago, looked interesting and the guy has obviously sold a few of these packages. I could be wrong, but did the original P30 package not come with uprated struts springs and brakes? If so I would be concerned how the stock suspension would cope with the increased pressure etc from this upgrade. I guess only long term use would give the answer.

Saw that thread a while ago, looked interesting and the guy has obviously sold a few of these packages. I could be wrong, but did the original P30 package not come with uprated struts springs and brakes? If so I would be concerned how the stock suspension would cope with the increased pressure etc from this upgrade. I guess only long term use would give the answer.
US colleagues did it in regular R230s (e.g an SL 550). I guess that in AMG cars there will be no problem but time will tell. I want to do it in a 2004 SL55 if someone can provide to Benz Ninja the information that he needs. I think that struts of an SL55 are the same with or without the P30 but I am not certain.

Today I have had the benzninja DTM upgrade to my 2011 SL500. Here is my review having driven 30 miles, excuse my excitement but jeepers ...
IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!........JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH!......In 30 years of modifying cars I have never seen such impressive performance improvements. Clearly the 7gtronic box has forgotten its lazy granny mode past.....the power and torque is available instantly.......all of it. Gear shift in S virtuality instant. The steering is Caterham 7 style, almost 2 tons of car now corners like a house fly! Virtuality zero body roll in ABC comfort mode, much smoother ride, in ABC Sport mode its nothing short of race car performance and still a better ride comfort than stock. The brakes are unbelievable, the stopping power is immense. I'm amazed, I fallen in love with my SL R230 again.
I'm so glad I replaced each and every suspension and subrame bush last year, the common sagging bushes and loose rear end would struggle to take the higher G's. Next up fully adjustable suspension arms to perfectly fine tune the alignment. .....
benzninja is without doubt an expert he has completed this modification and given every module an update. His expertise is unquestionable. All done remotely in no time at all. If you thought your SL R230 was good think again, highly recommended upgrade 🤯
PS folks, I don't know benzninja, he is not my brother and I had to pay for the work!

Well , that sounds like at least one endorsement for this mod . :p :)
Apologies for soiling the premium thread gents, I now see this is the AMG lounge, however, mod still applies, like someone once said....power is nothing without control!🤔

I've had 2 SL55s. My 1st was an '03 with all the issues that came with. Upgraded to a used '07 P30 with 72k miles, but the ride is killing me on the terrible NY roads here. The rear jumps laterally when going over bumps on a curve & is harsh on uneven pavement going straight. While the '03 drove like the tourer it was, the '07 feels too harsh to be intended for any a track that isn't perfect. For those who have owned an SL55 P30, is this normal?

The car is in great shape. Perhaps my bad getting a "track car" by buying P30? Can the car's response be reset softer using Star? If not, what about buying an ABC computer on eBay (they're cheap) & swapping it out (so I could swap it back for the next owner) or, are the rear struts different in a P30 that would I have to that new (used) box reprogrammed?

In general discussions about the ABC suspension, it is suggested replacing the accumulators. The car has never thrown any warning lights, never drooped, responds properly to the raise / lower button, etc. so I'm loath to spend thousands only to find that the car was within spec.

Open to all ideas from P30 owners or techs with P30 system knowledge, especially to anyone who's reprogrammed / swapped the ABC computer or softened the ride through STAR & can provide step by step instructions.

Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom