R230 rear storage box lid doesn't open

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
As the title. Unfortunately (and inevitably) it's the passenger side, with the CD stacker in it. I've removed the front trim, but that's no help. The opening button just pushes in with hardly any resistance; the other side works fine, but with some resistance to the button.

I'm not clear whether the vacuum locking system is involved, but for what it's worth, locking the glove box with the metal key does not lock the rear storage compartments - well, not the one that still opens, anyway.

I surmise that something has come adrift. If I could get in, I could get the lid off and no doubt fix it, but I can't. The only cure I can think of is to cut carefully through the vinyl covering on the lid, and trip the latch so that it opens. Does anybody have a better idea?

Lightbulb moment... Removing the front trim has exposed the metal fixed latch mounting. Rather than cut it all away, I'll drill out the screws from this side; the drill will be applying torque tending to unscrew them anyway, so they may unscrew and come out, but even if they don't and the female thread is wrecked, I could resecure the latch with pop rivets, which the trim piece will cover when replaced. I dare say it won't be too difficult to remove the lid and sort out the linkage so the problem doesn't recur.

That's unless anyone knows an easier way. Anyone?

I'm happy to report it worked perfectly. Not much drilling needed, and the screws loosened, unscrewed themselves and fell out.

I realise this an old thread I have the same issue however hiw did you get the catch to unlatch from the hoop on the bracket you drilled out the screws from as although the bracket is now loose I cannot get the latch to free off the loop. I gave looked at the other side and cannot see how you can open it without the mechanism working

Blast from the past... The vacuum system obviously seemed a good idea to Mercedes, and no doubt worked fine when new, but it was a complete p.i.t.a. on an old car.

I'm afraid I can't be certain, but ISTR I removed the lid completely and dismantled it to get at the latch; either that, or I removed the lid liner in situ to get at the latch. Once I could get at the actual latch mechanism, I just sucked on the tube to get it to the unlocked position. However, it may be that I simply disconnected the tube at the union between and behind the two storage boxes, and sucked on it from there; I can't be certain.

Once unlocked, I disconnected the vacuum tube so that once reassembled, it would not lock again. You'll need to plug the disconnected tube so the system cannot suck on an open end, of course.

It's only the locking that is actuated by vacuum; the latch will still mechanically secure the lid, but it can't be locked again to stop it opening with the button.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom