R230 rear window panels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JRH30

Car
SL55 AMG
Need to replace offside panel next to rear window glass as appears to be tarnished. Any idea how much and how easy to replace?

IIRC these used to be relatively cheap but for some reason are now over £200 I believe. Some owners try wrapping but this does not seem to last . There are instructions somewhere on tinterweb for removing the panels which I think are painted on the inside surface originally. Cant find the link at the moment.

They are about £70 plus VAT from Mercedes and take about 10 minutes to swap over. Go to your local dealer and have them do it as there is a knack to getting them on and off. If you have a go yourself they slide towards the wide end about 15mm and pop out. Replacement is a reverse of removal.

They are about £70 plus VAT from Mercedes and take about 10 minutes to swap over. Go to your local dealer and have them do it as there is a knack to getting them on and off. If you have a go yourself they slide towards the wide end about 15mm and pop out. Replacement is a reverse of removal.

Ah the local MB dealer must have given me a price for both- I thought £200 was excessive for a small plastic panel even at MB prices. Thanks for clarifying.:thumb:

Thanks guys. Looks like I will have to go down to MB Guildford and see how much they want for one. Noticed that certain places under the rear glass are also discoloured which I assume is moisture getting underneath. Doubt if that will be such an easy fix!!

Ah the local MB dealer must have given me a price for both- I thought £200 was excessive for a small plastic panel even at MB prices. Thanks for clarifying.:thumb:

Well I hope I'm right, but that is the price I paid a year or so ago so yes it does sound like you got a price for both.

Picked up offside panel up from MB dealer today. Total cost £61.20. Pleasantly surprised as thought it would be more. Still a rip-off for a flimsy plastic panel!!

I had both sides on mine replaced last year - not too expensive, but does make it look much better ! (Think you will probably want the other one done to match !)

Picked up offside panel up from MB dealer today. Total cost £61.20. Pleasantly surprised as thought it would be more. Still a rip-off for a flimsy plastic panel!!

That's a bit of a relief - I was clearly given the wrong price. Will go ahead and get mine now. Are the panels painted on the inside surface and looking at the new ones is it obvious how they go on and off?

They are made of plastic type material. Have not fitted yet but as stated by previous poster you have to lever it from narrow end for a few mm and then lift off with fitting being the reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom