R230 Roof will not Close

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SL55-blackrep

Car
Sl55 AMG
I bought this car in January and never used the roof until this beautiful weekend.

It opened and tucked away nicely but come the evening it wouldn't go back up again.

I tried the roof with the previous owner when I bought it and it worked fine apart from the struts were weak and he said they needed replacing.

I should have known better than to put it down without replacing the struts but the sun made me do it.

HELP please

If this is in the wrong subject area (Sorry) feel free to put it in the correct area.

Doubt that it's anything to do with "weak struts"

After a few years, the support struts that hold the boot up can weaken, either from age or, more likely, lack of use. Those will be the "weak struts" that your man is talking about. They're essentially unrelated to the roof closure mechanism

What exactly happens, or doesn't happen, when you try to put the roof back up?

Do you hear motors whirring?

Do you get error messages on the screen?

Have you got a "convenience functions" error message on the screen?

Or is there no noise, no nothing?

As already said the struts are for the boot and nothing to do with the roof operation. Have you checked the boot cover is fully in place, this is the cover that has to be closed for the roof to operate, it may have come loose. Do you have any messages in the instrument cluster?

Make sure the engine is running. Turn the ignition on an off a few times.

Other than that it may need re-setting on a Star or to see what the issue is. You can put them up manually. The instuctions are in your manual.

I pulled the shelf out and put it in place fully a couple of times - no change
I have no error messages
It makes a noise like its trying to do some thing but then it just makes a click sound and no movement apart from the roll bar and wind protector.

All fixed -

For those who may have this issue in the future mine anyway was a very simple fix..
The flap on the left just needed tightening up its all working fine now but is still slightly loose so a new one has been placed on order :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom