R230 SL 350 knowledge

• Thread starter Deleted member 37751
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 37751

Been offered a very very temptingly priced 2005 SL 350 by a friend of mine, it’s recently had rear springs done and comes with full service history but I was wondering is there anything I should be looking for that he might not be aware of himself? Wet boot for example?

It doesn’t have ABC either, like nearly all 350’s.

Been offered a very very temptingly priced 2005 SL 350 by a friend of mine, it’s recently had rear springs done and comes with full service history but I was wondering is there anything I should be looking for that he might not be aware of himself? Wet boot for example?

It doesn’t have ABC either, like nearly all 350’s.

Some items to check on any R230/R231 SL.........
1. Check the boot seal at the bottom of rear window as it tends to leak but there is a cheap fix for this. If the boot carpet is damp then I suspect the seal leaks.
2. Check all 5 water drains are clear, 1 in the front at the base of the airbox (which is under the passenger side bonnet vent), 1 eon both c pillars and 1 at both ends of the boot seal.. Pull back the passenger carpet and make sure it is dry underneath, a wet or damp carpet indicates a blocked airbox drain.
3. Check the roof operates smoothly, lower and raise it several times.
4. Check all the electrics work.
5. Make sure the PSE pump in the boot is dry, its under the boot floor panel on the nearside under a big sponge. If the sponge is dry then the pump should be dry.
6. Check the rear wheel arches for rust. The inner arch lining allows crud to collect.
7. Check the age of the consumer battery, this is the one in the boot. This battery runs all the electrics and has a hard life. The battery under the bonnet is only for starting the car.
8. Cosmetic but essential, make sure the car has the wind deflector. These are quite expensive to buy and some sellers sell them separately which i think is a bit naughty.
9. Check the gearbox goes from Park into Drive smoothly, these cars have a plastic linkage which can crack and break which results in being stuck in Park

Brilliant, thank you, I’ve been to look at it tonight and other than the head unit that cuts out, the basis of it is a good car.

Brilliant, thank you, I’ve been to look at it tonight and other than the head unit that cuts out, the basis of it is a good car.

If you don’t end up buying it Lee please send me the details ;)

Could you see yourself driving it?
I took it for a blast up the road and I really enjoyed it actually, I’ve always loved the R230 and in my opinion it’s made every SL since look ungainly.

And for the money he’s asking it’s a great bit of fun to run over the summer plus there’s no ABC to worry about...

I took it for a blast up the road and I really enjoyed it actually, I’ve always loved the R230 and in my opinion it’s made every SL since look ungainly.

And for the money he’s asking it’s a great bit of fun to run over the summer plus there’s no ABC to worry about...
I would.

Enjoy it,
I’ve just purchased a 2004 350 with just 8k since new, serviced, MOT’d and taxed every year.
It’s like a new car and I just love it.

Some items to check on any R230/R231 SL.........
1. Check the boot seal at the bottom of rear window as it tends to leak but there is a cheap fix for this. If the boot carpet is damp then I suspect the seal leaks.
2. Check all 5 water drains are clear, 1 in the front at the base of the airbox (which is under the passenger side bonnet vent), 1 eon both c pillars and 1 at both ends of the boot seal.. Pull back the passenger carpet and make sure it is dry underneath, a wet or damp carpet indicates a blocked airbox drain.
3. Check the roof operates smoothly, lower and raise it several times.
4. Check all the electrics work.
5. Make sure the PSE pump in the boot is dry, its under the boot floor panel on the nearside under a big sponge. If the sponge is dry then the pump should be dry.
6. Check the rear wheel arches for rust. The inner arch lining allows crud to collect.
7. Check the age of the consumer battery, this is the one in the boot. This battery runs all the electrics and has a hard life. The battery under the bonnet is only for starting the car.
8. Cosmetic but essential, make sure the car has the wind deflector. These are quite expensive to buy and some sellers sell them separately which i think is a bit naughty.
9. Check the gearbox goes from Park into Drive smoothly, these cars have a plastic linkage which can crack and break which results in being stuck in Park
Hardly any of this applies to the R231, all issues resolved and a totally different SL.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Had a bit of time to think about it and I’m going to pass on it - I got him down to £5,000 because of the headunit and a couple of other bits but it could just end up being something else I get bored of in double quick time then having to sell....

RKG was an old
Had a bit of time to think about it and I’m going to pass on it - I got him down to £5,000 because of the headunit and a couple of other bits but it could just end up being something else I get bored of in double quick time then having to sell....
Could your Mrs use a runaround?

RKG was an old
Could your Mrs use a runaround?
She’s got a runaround - a Toyota Hilux Invincible!

I'm sure you can buy it, drive it for a couple of months and sell it for a profit or evens at worst. I guess it's more the time (and hassle) involved in selling it than anything else

Hardly any of this applies to the R231, all issues resolved and a totally different SL.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Looking over the list again I think about half are applicable to the R231

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom