R230 SL - Does my logic stack up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DickiPhitt

Car
Audi S3
For some time I have fancied a comfortable convertible cruiser for high days and holidays, the latter including trips around the continent.

The short list seemed to be very short - Jaguar XK or Mercedes SL - and the Jaguar soon dropped out because of the soft top and, to a lesser extent for me, the 5 litre engine on post 2009 cars.

For some months I've read through forum posts on here and been really grateful for the help to be found, all of which has led me down the following thought process.

The R129 is out because I had a detachable hardtop in my 1964 Sunbeam Alpine and it was a pain, added to which I'm not a fan of the styling.

The R230 hits the spot in the looks department (IMHO) has the electric Pano roof, of course, but then the fun starts around the engines and suspension.

The ABC suspension is a no go area for me, and in any case I have a hot hatch for hooligan days, so out goes the SL500 option, leaving the SL350.

I prefer (slightly) the styling of the the pre-2008 facelift cars but they have the M272 engine with the potential for balancer shaft wear.

Post 2008, the SL350 gets a useful increase in power and options like the AirScarf and better connectivity are available.

Luckily I find the 2012-on model too brash so it seems my choice is more or less made for me. A 2008-on facelift.

I'd welcome any thoughts members might have on my logic. Far better to do the research and sense check it with people who are in the know before taking the plunge and buying.

I love the shape of the R230 hence me getting my SL63. They are complicated cars though best to go into it expecting bills. Choice of engine always comes down to what works for you. For me it had to be a V8

I had a choice of a 500, 55 or 350.

I went for the 350.... So far it's been hassle free, it's just a basic car.
Yea it's not fast... But it's not slow either.

I look after it, it has a few subtle mods and it's debadged, yesterday driving through the local market town with the roof down it got as many looks as the orange aventador behind me!

It's practical, usable and to the untrained eye a supercar.

To me nothing in the class comes near for what I want.

If I wanted fast I'd have got a porsche hardtop, if I wanted fun I'd have got an mx5.

People will say get the v8, yes I it's great, but for what? Real world all you get is a better sound and more hassle. The slk is to small and a girls car(in my opinion).

What hassle do you get from a V8?

I suspect mat8n is referring to the ABC hassle with the V8s. Certainly that the reason I'm not going there.
SLK too small and rather effeminate to my eyes.

It's not the engine, it's all the other fandango bits associated with it that made it an unrealistic choice for me.

For the small gain in power and noise it doesn't really stack up.
Fuel was never an issue for me, but i do get 27mpg average and nearly 30 on a steady run!

I would love a v8 with the v6 running gear, as I feel these cars are cruisers and you don't need all the track capabilities.

Obviously the proper AMG ones are differen!

if you are only going to use it for holidays and weekends, I personally would have to have the V8

V8 only sorry

If you buy a well looked after 500 or even an AMG I don't think you'll regret it :)

All the talk of imminent doom and the like surrounding ABC - compared to the main costs associated with all of these cars (depreciation) I don't think it matters so much. Bearing I mind the OP is looking at a 2008 on car I would think the budget would be reasonable?

I'm sorry but as a car for high days and holidays it has to be a V8. I swear more people scaremonger online over cars like these they've never owned surrounding issues such as ABC/SBC/airmatic (on other models etc) than those who've had issues.

What's an ABC pump, strut or a valve block on a £100k car bought for say £15/20k compared to what these cars lost in deprecation over the first 5-10 years? A 500 or AMG is probably going to be better specced and possibly better maintained too.

I'd drive a couple of each and make your mind up :thumb:

I'd try and find a facelift SL55 with good spec and full history for circa £20k (or thereabouts). Imagine taking that for a break through Europe :cool:

After trying both cars (350 or 500) the five hundred is by far the better car imo.

If you buy a well looked after 500 or even an AMG I don't think you'll regret it :)

All the talk of imminent doom and the like surrounding ABC - compared to the main costs associated with all of these cars (depreciation) I don't think it matters so much. Bearing I mind the OP is looking at a 2008 on car I would think the budget would be reasonable?

I'm sorry but as a car for high days and holidays it has to be a V8. I swear more people scaremonger online over cars like these they've never owned surrounding issues such as ABC/SBC/airmatic (on other models etc) than those who've had issues.

What's an ABC pump, strut or a valve block on a £100k car bought for say £15/20k compared to what these cars lost in deprecation over the first 5-10 years? A 500 or AMG is probably going to be better specced and possibly better maintained too.

I'd try and find a facelift SL55 with good spec and full history for circa £20k (or thereabouts). Imagine taking that for a break through Europe :cool:

:thumb:I couldn't agree more, all these scare stories made me get the V12:eek:

Good advice, I'll certainly try both.

Searching the usual sites doesn't show up anything in the £15-20k bracket, far from it currently, so just as well I'm looking to buy this winter when prices may have softened.

I've just switched from a 2003 SL500 to a 2005 SL350 - purely because a very low mileage, main dealer serviced, always garaged, immaculate one owner car came up from someone I know, in a colour that I love.

I'd seen all the usual half baked stuff about the two models when I bought my SL500, but originally bought the SL500 purely because I loved it and already owned an E500 estate, as well as previously owning S500's. I was surprised by how much I loved my SL500. I'm a very critical car owner.

Internet chat is a good way of passing an evening, but it's no substitute for driving the actual cars and responding to what's in your hands.

They're both great cars, and to any wife, relative or passer by, are the same. At the kerbside, only a few geeks will recognise the difference, and virtually no-one knows from experience what it means to drive an SL350, let alone an SL55 or SL60.

Key points to consider:

1. In the real world, the V8 is always a lazy V8 drive, whereas the V6 has to be revved through the gears . This give the SL350 a feeling of greater urgency. The V8 will always feel more powerful on the rare occasions when you floor the accelerator. Think about where you drive - if you have Harry Potter's key to that alternative empty motorway and A road system where there are no speed limits or other cars in sight - all well and good. If you always drive in the South East of England, think about how you really will use the car.

2. Fuel economy difference is tiny: 10%. Do the numbers. It doesn't matter. If you can afford to buy and depreciate the car who don't need to think about the fuel. If you want to save money on fuel, walk to the local gym or pub instead of driving - you'll end up fitter as well.

3. Depreciation on newer cars is enormous. Enormous. Do the math - work out how much you will lose over three years. £30k £20k ? £10k ? £5k ? £0 ? All options are possible, it just depends on how new you want the car to be.

4. Genuine mileage cars are insanely reliable. Yes, you will have to service them, and yes the ABC and boot leaks will cost you £2k at some point around 7 or 8 years old, but that's just maintenance. A £2k repair bill is nothing compared to the depreciation on a newer car.

5. The ABC suspension on the SL500 is gloriously luxurious - limo like. The SL350 is more normal. Personally, I prefer ABC.

6. You're more likely to get insane luxuries on a used SL500 - they're bought by people who don't mind rolling a few grand more for this or that. Hunting for a high spec SL350 will take more time.

7. Mileage and garaging make a huge difference to the condition of the car. A garaged 50k 12 year old car will look like new. A 3 year old 75k mile car left on a London street will be grazed. micro-scratched grubby and thinking about starting to acquire mould and rust.

Which car is better: the SL350 or SL500? It all depends on you, and your mood. Drive them, don't just read.

Last edited:
Mike as made a number of good points.

Do not worry about the ABC suspension if you ever need to change it you will be glad you had it in the first place it makes for a much better drive SL

I would be buying the SL500 with the Pano roof as a must and any extra from there are a bonus.

Hi, I recently acquired a 350SL 3.5L V6 and am luvvin it ! A great car, great exhaust note which can be heard properly with the roof down, which it frequently is,never thought Id enjoy this car so much ! God bless the 350 SL ;-) Enjoy whatever you go for in the end ..I don't think it matters..its what your heart tells you is for you !

OK so I'm open (sort of) to the idea of an SL500, especially after reading some of the posts on here about DIY solutions.
I've budgeted around £17k for an SL as a third car.
2006/7 cars (M273) under 40k miles seem to be asking price around £19-20k.
2002/3 cars (M113) under 40k miles around £11k. One I have lined up to look at is a well specced one owner car, in the colours I like, under 30k miles.
Strikes me that for the difference in price I could (worst case) deal with a lot of ABC problems.
Apart from the usual riders like obvious body rot / water ingress, etc, is buying an early SL500 a no-no?
Traditional wisdom, as I recall, is that Mercs of this time were rock bottom quality so I wouldn't normally have considered the option.
I'd prefer to garner the views of experienced Merc enthusiasts.

OK so I'm open (sort of) to the idea of an SL500, especially after reading some of the posts on here about DIY solutions.
I've budgeted around £17k for an SL as a third car.
2006/7 cars (M273) under 40k miles seem to be asking price around £19-20k.
2002/3 cars (M113) under 40k miles around £11k. One I have lined up to look at is a well specced one owner car, in the colours I like, under 30k miles.
Strikes me that for the difference in price I could (worst case) deal with a lot of ABC problems.
Apart from the usual riders like obvious body rot / water ingress, etc, is buying an early SL500 a no-no?
Traditional wisdom, as I recall, is that Mercs of this time were rock bottom quality so I wouldn't normally have considered the option.
I'd prefer to garner the views of experienced Merc enthusiasts.

You're pretty much on the ball here.

Main thing is condition as opposed to mileage. The sorts of issues these cars suffer from (electrics, seals, baffles in the fuel tanks etc) aren't related to mileage. And a car with 30 or 40k miles can still have worn discs, tyres, need big servicing jobs done etc.

ABC is a bit of a gamble but when you look at the overall picture so long as the car isn't bought as a duffer just set aside a slush fund. If it's needed during your ownership then fair enough but if not then happy days :)

My choice would be a mid facelift 113 engine car, sort of 2005 onwards with the later COMAND but the bulletproof engine (either 500 or 55 :cool:)

The later 500 is a bit more powerful but realistically I'd take a '55 AMG if that's what you wanted.

DickiPhitt if you close enough to me you are welcome to view my car to give you a idea what is out there. I would not worry about mileage either. The engines do not have any issues as they are pretty bullet proof.
I have the early model 2002 and the only real difference is the command system.
I was looking at the 2005+ but the car i got was so good i had to have it. So for me the right car is more important than the model year.
I have had a couple of the large bill already taken care of and should the other come up i won't be to concerned, as you get a lot of car for your money in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom