R230 SL - How to open boot (trunk) on a wet day without water ingress

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NJSS

Car
2011 SL 350 Fire Opal Red|||2016 Land Rover Discovery|||1973 MGB GT V8|||1959 MGA Roadster
The first thing you learn on purchasing an R230, or I guess R231, is that one shouldn't lower the roof if there is water on it, and the same applies to opening the boot.

One can defer lowering the roof until it is dry; but the boot is a more pressing problem. One arrives at one's destination & needs to get luggage from the boot on a wet day, what does one do? I have tried various solutions.

1. A dry chamois leather in the car it can be utilised to clear water from the boot lid, but a very dry chamois is not much use until it becomes moist. For that reason I have been keeping a damp chamois in the car - but that introduces moisture into "the cab" causing condensation.

2. Keeping the chamois damp in a water tight container might seem to be a solution, but causes the chamois to become "musty" & eventually rot.

3. An ordinary dry cloth seems to do the trick. I keep it in the cab, and when used ring the water out & store in a water tight container until used again, and once home it can be washed & dried.

A first world problem I know,

NJSS

You could (heaven forbid!) use a water blade or old windscreen wiper to remove the excess water from the boot lid?

Yes - I considered that, but felt that the risk of scratching the paint, after a possibly long drive, was reduced by using a chamois or cloth

TBH unless you use a mega-fluffy microfibre cloth the chance of scratching is pretty much the same, especially with the chamois

Many thanks...when I wrote "ordinary dry cloth", I should have said microfibre cloth!

I started with "domestic" microfibre cloths, and but have progressed to "Kent" microfibre cloths which seem pretty good.

Since I started this thread a neighbour, who read it, & has called to say "Try a PVA synthetic Chamois", which he uses on his SL. It is supplied in a tube to keep it moist,.

NJSS

Many thanks...when I wrote "ordinary dry cloth", I should have said microfibre cloth!

I started with "domestic" microfibre cloths, and but have progressed to "Kent" microfibre cloths which seem pretty good.

Since I started this thread a neighbour, who read it, & has called to say "Try a PVA synthetic Chamois", which he uses on his SL. It is supplied in a tube to keep it moist,.

NJSS
Method is important when using any large drying cloth - just lay it flat across the bootlid and pat it down to absorb, lift, then wring it out and start again. Sorry if that sounds obvious. Oh, and don't keep it in the boot!!

I suppose a “spirited drive” before arriving at your destination would shake off the excess water.

I know what you mean about opening the roof when it’s wet. I found out the hard way on a lovely sunny day but the car still had some water lying on it. I got thoroughly soaked as the roof tilted up over my head.

I open mine slowly to give the water time to escape down the channel below the rear screen. There's always a few drops that end up on the higher parts of the boot carpeting but that's no big problem in my view. I used to have an S Type Jag and that would get drips going into the boot from the number plate area if the boot was opened to quickly. If the truth was known I bet most cars suffer from a little bit of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom