R230 Sl350 2004 speakers (non Bose)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave_Bax

Car
CLK320
Hi I am hoping someone can help out. I am trying to find out the size and quantity of speakers fitted to the standard command 2.0 audio system in a 2004 SL350 as I am going to replace the head unit and the speakers with after market units (head unit has a faulty CD loader and speakers sound blown with very raspy rough low frequency notes).

I have searched the forums and the net and there seems to be some contradictory views. I was hoping to source the information before stripping off door panels etc.

I believe there are three speakers per door, one 8" mid base driver and a 4" mid driver and a 1" tweeter.

Can anyone confirm this set-up please and if possible does anyone know the fitting depth?

Also does the standard (non Bose) system have the rear speakers near the luggage straps and the centre speaker in the dash?

Thanks for any help.

The non bose ones are a 3 way system in a moulded pod. The bose ones are different shape. Yes you have rear very small speakers

We rebuild the fronts with some carefully chosen custom speakers when we rebuild SL audio systems but it is far not at all simple to make it sound good. We also can add a subwoofer, although on 2004 cars with Distronic that is not be possible as it has to fit in front footwell and there is very limited space there.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard do you know the diameter of the speakers and possibly the mounting depth?

They are in a moulded pod which mounts into the door. Big one is 200mm and next is approx 100mm. Can't remember tweeter size. Mounting depth is not very deep, and as they are in a pod you have to think about the size of the pod when thinking about the speakers in them (like you have to think about the size of a subwoofer box when you put a subwoofer in it)

The parts we use to make our custom ones (we start with the old pod and remove the speakers) are about £600 - but sound awesome - must be said, not that pretty to look at but you can't see them. And we recommend driving the 8" with one channel, the other two with another channel if you are putting an amp in.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I was going to ask if you would refurbish the pods and how much, however that's considerably out of my budget I'm afraid :(

In your opinion would I be better off sourcing some 2nd hand original fir speakers if my budget was <£300? I am just trying to gauge the quaility of the original fit speakers in terms of value.

Thanks for your help.

Dave,

I haven't thought about doing a "lower end" version of the refurb. The basic speakers are very cheaply made, and it sounds like one of yours is blown in any case.

How far are you from Lightwater (M3 J3) ?

Richard

I'm off J7 M3 about 30mins away.

The SL is in for a service tomorrow and some paint work (stone chips and polish) Monday next week.

I tend to be always in on Tuesdays .. why don;t you call up once and arrange to come in ? 01276 474900

R

I tend to be always in on Tuesdays .. why don;t you call up once and arrange to come in ? 01276 474900

R

Richard I have sent you a message, thx.

Follow Up

Hey guys,

Just a follow up.....
What speakers did you end up putting in the car.
What are the speaker sizes in the SL?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom