R230 (SL350) Boot Lid Gas Strut Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WolfieS

Car
2005 SL350
Hi,

I have an issue where the Boot Lid on my SL350 will not stay open, but continually falls on my head - I need to replace the Boot Lid Gas Struts where they even have their Part Number conveniently written on them (Q7 A230 750 0036).

My question concerns the fact that I have (in error) purchased a Gas Strut with the Part Number Q5 A230 750 0136, which by all accounts fits the SL500. This strut has a bigger body but it does physically fit.

I only bought the one and need to make up a pair, but would it be fine to buy another Q5 A230 750 0136 or should I fit a pair of Q7 A230 750 0036's? Apart from the physical size of the Q5 0136, what is the difference to a Q7 0036? I would not have imagined that the Boot Lid on an SL350 would be different to that fitted to an SL500

Pleased if anybody can answer this 'simple' question. Thanks in advance.

Wolfgang Souter
2005 SL350 (R230), Westbury, Wiltshire, UK

The 2 different parts are for 2 different parts of the boot lid mechanism

The 01 36 part is probably not visible most of the time, its near the large tubular part of the frame

I'd put the correct parts in

Richard

I replaced these as well when I had my SL. The boot lid was always dropping more in the cold weather

The 2 different parts are for 2 different parts of the boot lid mechanism

The 01 36 part is probably not visible most of the time, its near the large tubular part of the frame

I'd put the correct parts in

Richard
Thanks Richard,

I'd missed your earlier response and phoned MB in Salisbury ... they stated exactly as you had: the 0036 fits on each side of the boot lid (2 per vehicle) whilst the 0136 fits on the boot lid frame somewhere (1 per vehicle).

Thanks again and I guess that my mistaken purchase of the 0136 was £20 wasted. Now need to buy 2x 0036's to stop the boot lid hitting me on the head each time I open it.

Regards
Wolfgang Souter

PS: I intend to bring my SL350 to Command to change the clock settings to manual adjust following a Head Unit replacement - does Command also do full diagnostics because my Aircon doesn't work? I had an RTA (Cat D) and the Aircon was unpressurised when I got the car back (the Body Shop think that the Salvage Company started to remove bits before they were told that I was buying the car back off the insurers). Anyway, I had the Aircon re-gassed, but the pump will not switch on - even though the aircon switch light illuminates. All was working fine before the RTA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom