R230 SL350 buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ToMegaTherion

Car
SL350 (R230)
I've now posted this in General too, as I think this might not be the place for it. But any responses still greatly appreciated here too. Apols!

Hi there - newb/lurker here. Posting now because I fancy losing my 07 CLS320CDI in favour of an R230 SL350, primarily because the kids have gone and our beloved 2nd city is going CAZ on 1st June.

I confess I'm a nervous buyer. I've had the CLS for about six years and it's been great (Airmatic and all). I'm from back in the days of all-dealers-are-crooks (my first car was a '91 Alfa33 Cloverleaf Permanent Four... so I know what pain feels like).

So, in short... I'm looking at an 09 SL350 at screen price 11950, down on the south coast. It has all the toys and given it's on 19" I'm assuming it's the sport package. It's an 82k miler with a pleasing private plate and - dealer claims - FSH (only part MB I think). It's only had 2 previous keepers. It's MOT'd without advisories. There is some small area of lacquer peel to the driver side door, I'm told... and I'm not sure what to make of that. Is it evidence of (bodged) repair? Or to be expected in a car of this age?

Not sure if forum rules allow me to provide a link to a popular auto trading website, where the vehicle is prominently displayed.

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated. I've always wanted an SL, so I don't want to screw this one chance up or waste a long journey to the southern reaches of this fair isle.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I would think that peeling lacquer is a definite sign of poor repair. Unless of course it's a Fire Opal Red car, in which case you might be seeing the start of a whole world of pain. Mileage is higher than what you might expect for these SL's, often used as weekend and sunny day cars, but some will disagree. I'd find another, there are always plenty for sale. jmo obviously.
Edit just realised you've had responses on other thread.

I would think that peeling lacquer is a definite sign of poor repair. Unless of course it's a Fire Opal Red car, in which case you might be seeing the start of a whole world of pain. Mileage is higher than what you might expect for these SL's, often used as weekend and sunny day cars, but some will disagree. I'd find another, there are always plenty for sale. jmo obviously.
Edit just realised you've had responses on other thread.
Cheers for that ... am checking both threads. At my end of the market - looking to spend no more than £13k - it looks at first sight (ie on Autotrader) that it's going to be high mileage cars. I've been looking specifically for 09-onward cars, making the assumption that those will be more mature in terms of R230 issues being ironed out - specifically the balance shaft problems on the V6 and the water leaks affecting locking pump and electrics. I'd also prefer the uprated 315bhp engine.

Some similarly priced cars on AT are at around 100k miles. That feels way to high for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom