R230 SL500 (2004) More Power - Remap and Rolling Road Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnfgambler247

Car
XKR 5.0, SL 55, Bentley Continetal GT
I am looking to get some more power and responsiveness from the car. I also have XJR and XKR (both 4.2 SC) and I feel that the 5.0L in the Merc, whilst not matching the other two should be closer in performance.

Bearing this in mind does anyone on here have any experience of remapping Mercs in Derbyshire / surrounding areas generally and specifically any experience on rempapping the SL500.

I used to own a BMW 6 series and has a remap done in by Custom Tuning in Bradford, which was ok.

I have just called ECU Flash in Doncaster, who will do a remap, but no rolling road - which is something I would prefer.

Thanks for any advice.

I'd have thought the power gain from a remap would be minimal (with it being an NA engine).

Yes, it not much, I think from 306 to 330bhp-ish. It was as much about improving throttle response as well as power though.

I'm actually surprised you can get a 10% increase from just a remap.

I went for sports cats / resonator delete / AMG back box on my R129 500 ... I'm happy with it just sounding a bit faster :D

Hopefully someone here has tried a remap and will be able to comment on the throttle response.

I might be naive here but why would anyone upgrade the power on an R230 SL500 when there are SL55' out there??? Am I missing something?:dk:

The standard answer would be to ring Acid at MSL

OK, not exactly Derbyshire, but a lot of us travel a lot further as he knows Mercedes well. He will also be able to help with pulleys for the Jags if you ever want to go that route...

I might be naive here but why would anyone upgrade the power on an R230 SL500 when there are SL55' out there??? Am I missing something?:dk:

May like the current vehicle too much to change it, also may not like the added complications of a S/c

My advice being as you own an XKR would be to leave well alone as you will be chasing small gains really and you have a supercharged coupe in the fold anyway. Enjoy them for their differences. Oh and save your money for when the ABC packs in ;)

Thanks for all the responses folks.

Zoros, the SL55 would be ideal, I agree totally, but the extra £6k to buy the AMG over the standard SL was the issue :) (and finding one that is clean and not abused at that age)

Regarding the pulleys on the Jags I had the top pulleys done at Powerhouse in Sheffield, small company and Lawson is very helpful and knowledgeable if anyone needed that kind of upgrade on their SC cars. Also on the subject of upgrades I had the XJR exhausts (cat back) replaced with stainless boxes bu MIJ in Walsall - also a decent place to deal with.

daveenty, I tried the MSL website but it seemed incomplete / links on the site didn't work, tried to call and no reply either. Maybe I'll try to contact them again if they come recommended.

MSL website is seldom updated though there is a bit of a facebook presence. Too much time spent working on cars. :)

I know that they were trying to finish early today for the holiday, though not sure when they're back.

Acid's mobile is 07765 444447

247: by the time you add the cost of engine,suspension, brakes, labour - you wont get any change out of 6k and you'll have a car that no-one will want because its been messed with too much.
Plus the sl55 depreciaition is slower than the sl500.
Bite the bullet and get a proper merc!

You wont get a better mapper than ecu flash although they have no rolling road they will map dynamically on the road to work out any niggles. They will also map on a dyno just book some time on the Noble motorsport dyno and get Andy to come over and map it. They do all my cars but are only two minutes down the road from me.

That said very little point mapping a 500 you might get a little sharper throttle response and slight gains but that woukd be about it.

If you are looking for performance compared to the Jag motors you are used to running the 500 is very lethargic in comparison so feel you would be get disappointed. I have an Audi R8 V8 and a modified CLK 230 kompressor. The CLK still brings a grin to my face every time I drive it, it's just the raw raucous power delivery. I'm fact its on my drive now as my daily over the Christmas period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom