R230 SL500 preventative maintenance jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
So after a search of many weeks i will be collecting my R230 SL500 on Saturday. The car is already in excellent condition but being 12 years old (50k miles) i'm sure it will need some TLC here and there. What are the recommended jobs that every new SL owner should be doing? I know the boot weather seal is a potential problem area so what else? The car has had a recent service, ABC pump and fluid replaced, new pads and discs, refurbished alloys and new starter and consumer batteries, anything else?

Thanks.

Glad you got your car found in the end Flowrider99 but come on were are those pictures? :ttiuwp

Ok i would run around all of the rubbers and protect them the best you can by adding some rubber treatment. Don't forget to check that all the area's that have tunnels in the rubber are clear so you will not get any blockages.

When i was looking for my SL one or two of the cars i checked out before buying mine had a very some amount of surface rust on the rear wheel arch / wings so i had this done so i will not worry about this for many more years to come.

I would clean and re condition the leather seats.
Make sure all the roof hinges and cables have been oiled or greased were needed.

As my car is not garaged i have ordered a good car cover as recommended by fellow users and this will be used in the coming days as the temperatures drop.

You seem to have most corners covered so lets hope you enjoy the car.

Here's a pic from the original owner.

Attachments

• IMG_4398.JPG
    IMG_4398.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 47
So what the colour called not sure if its the silver or the telurium blue silver that i have? If you dont know and have the chassis number you can find out here Checking VIN for Mercedes-Benz | CARInfo

Nothing fancy just brilliant silver. Interior is black/anthracite

Car has a lot of options........
Parking sensors
Panoramic roof
AMG bodykit
AMG III wheels 19"
Bose premium sound
TV
Walnut wood trim
Wood trimmed steering wheel
MB bluetooth adapter in armrest

What do you guys use on rubber seals? Vaseline is too greasy.

Mercedes do a silicone lube for this job.

Gummi is good - I think Krytox is better

Drive it regularly. The auxiliary battery has a tendency to lose charge if left standing too long and you will get a warning telling you some things are temporarily unavailable, like the parking sensors, the roof won't open or shut. Drive it for a few minutes to get some charge in the battery and all is well again.

The starter battery can also throw up some alarming warnings when the voltage has dropped, like light sensor, visit workshop, or brake service, visit workshop, which potentially means the SBC pump is playing up, along with various flashing lights on the dash display.

Again, keep/get the battery fully charged and all is usually ok again.

They are very sensitive to small drops in voltage.

Lovely car...

I had a 350 and the only advice I would give is to use it as often as poss.

Also treat the roof seals as mentioned (I used some fantastic Mercedes stuff in a small bottle - can't remember the name tho), make sure the boot is dry and check often for any change.

Drive it regularly. The auxiliary battery has a tendency to lose charge if left standing too long and you will get a warning telling you some things are temporarily unavailable, like the parking sensors, the roof won't open or shut. Drive it for a few minutes to get some charge in the battery and all is well again.

The starter battery can also throw up some alarming warnings when the voltage has dropped, like light sensor, visit workshop, or brake service, visit workshop, which potentially means the SBC pump is playing up, along with various flashing lights on the dash display.

Again, keep/get the battery fully charged and all is usually ok again.

They are very sensitive to small drops in voltage.

I have just had my light come on this morning for my battery i guess this was expected with the weather now on the turn. Anyone know how much a auxiliary battery is by chance and were to get one from like a Main dealer or parts supplier?

And i also use the Gummi Pfledge for the rubber care.

I replaced my starter battery recently for £90 from ECP.

My auxiliary battery was replaced in January, not sure of cost, but if I don't use the car for week or so it will flash up the low battery warning until I have driven it for a few miles to put some charge in, then all is ok again.

Last edited:
So Monkey should i replace mine ( auxilliary battery) as it came on for 5 minutes before going off and this is the first time it has done this?

Sorry Flowrider i did not mean to take over your thread...

As my car is not garaged i have ordered a good car cover as recommended by fellow users and this will be used in the coming days as the temperatures drop.

Make sure its spotless clean before fitting the cover or the cover will become sandpaper as it moves over the car and picks up dirt.

So Monkey should i replace mine ( auxilliary battery) as it came on for 5 minutes before going off and this is the first time it has done this?

Sorry Flowrider i did not mean to take over your thread...

Mine normally takes between 5 and 10 minutes driving to recharge so I wouldn't be unduly worried at this stage. Do you know how old it is?

Invest in a CTek battery conditioner. Mine is always connected when car not in use and is outside all winter. No problems. ++ for a cover.

Enjoy the car!!!

Invest in a CTek battery conditioner. Mine is always connected when car not in use and is outside all winter. No problems. ++ for a cover.

Enjoy the car!!!

I have just dug my trickle charger out for the winter. Do you charge direct via the battery terminals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom