R230 sl500 replace/upgrade sat nav/audio systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brokencar

Car
Sl500 r230 2004
Hi, a usual question im sure but...
2004 rhd sl500 r230, its the 7 speed pre facelift centre console(one piece including command unit), non bose, fibre auto changer
i want to replace the lot at a sensible price if possible. Find conflicting info as to ease or possiblity of change due to wiring issues.
so asking whats been done before? Recommendations etc
I am fully competent to remove existing unit, console etc. looking to do this myself.
its not 2005 model which makes it easier ive read, not pulled the existing old unit to see wiring issues.
looking for reasonable quality sound, iphone integration, hands free, modern satnav
thanks for your help

2004 rhd sl500 r230, its the 7 speed pre facelift centre console(one piece including command unit), non bose, fibre auto changer
i want to replace the lot at a sensible price if possible. Find conflicting info as to ease or possiblity of change due to wiring issues.
I am fully competent to remove existing unit, console etc. looking to do this myself.
its not 2005 model which makes it easier ive read, not pulled the existing old unit to see wiring issues.
looking for reasonable quality sound, iphone integration, hands free, modern satnav
thanks for your help
Hi, new here. Did you manage to upgrade your system?

thanks for your help
Be interested to know if you came up with a solution

Be interested to know if you came up with a solution
It’s reasonably straight forward if you don’t have the Bose amplifier with all the fibre optic. My 02 just had fibre to the cd multichanger. Big change is you can now get a fitting kit which doesn’t require cutting the one piece centre console. Any double din unit will fit so you pay for what you get. I bought a Pioneer top of the range as I wanted wireless apple CarPlay and Android auto and a built in sat Nav but you don’t have to get all that. Other fiddle is the steering wheel buttons which needs another adapter. Caraudiocentre have all the kits/adapters.
Phone microphone and dab aerial need fitting but that’s pretty straightforward too.

The options seem to be either relativly cheap Chinese units like Erisin or units like Pioneer etc. Comand.co.uk will give proper advice about fitting Pioneer or similar (they can supply and fit if you're close to J3 M3, give them a call with your VIN so they can look up the build sheet for your car) but will not touch Chinese units - even "owner supplied". There are plenty of threads on here and t'other side (MBOA Forum) about fitting aftermarket units to various MB's. A common reaction is don't bother, just use your mobile phone as the MB comand system is pants!

Thanks guys. I saw these siecane units (Search results for: 'R230') and they give a decent stock look but not sure if these qualify as “cheap Chinese units”.

Will definitely give command.co.uk a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom