R230 SL63 Tuning/Exhaust Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenSJason

Car
C63 Supercharged
Hi all,

I'm doing some research for a friend on his SL63. I'm struggling to find some options for tuning the R230 SL63 6.2 and I wondered if any of you could help me with some questions.

From my research the SL63 6.2 has 514bhp and from all I can see, isn't restricted much by the headers alike the C63, therefore with a remap would comfortably get to around 540bhp, is that correct?

We're down in West Sussex so, a trip to MSL Birmigham isn't the ideal option. Are Eurocharged (via MSL) able to offer a map/handheld for this car, or would perhaps Rebellion be a good choice for ECU tuning?

This brings me to exhaust. With headers, I'd expect that the SL63 is a lot quieter than the C63 due to a more robust set of resonators/silencers on the AMG system. I don't see any RHD options for headers n this car, can anyone point me to a supplier (all I can find is MBH USA)?

If headers aren't the options, what else can be done so significantly increase the growl?

My personal opinion is the the SL63 is supposed to be refined, but it's his choice. I'm also not a fan of cutting up the AMG systems (like C63 second Cat delete) so preference would be bolt-on options, if it is possible.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what to suggest really as I've no experience with the S Class configuration, but a definitive answer would come from Olly at PCS (BlackC55 on here)

He's based down in Horndean/Waterlooville, so not too far from you and he knows the cars well.

Thanks for the reply. The platform seems like an odd one for people to tinker with, and I don't think that many people own them in the first place.

Thanks for the recommendation, I've sent a friend there for an LSD so I'll perhaps give Olly a call to see what he suggests. Acid is probably the guy to speak to about Eurocharging it remotely.

My research is basically this, for anyone who does the same and finds this thread via Google or whatever...

Headers for RHD cars don't exist. You have a choice of either MBH or Supersprint, both of which fit LHD, albeit can be modified to fit RHD. You will need to spend around £2500 for the headers plus the cost of the modification from a reputable fitter, and by the way, these will be catless headers which look like they remove all four Cats.

The second option is cutting the exhaust and removing the two secondary Cats and the two resonators. This seems to produce a sound similar to a header-ed C63 so, I'd suggest for a moderate increase, delete secondary Cats only.

I think my friend has a little trial and error to go yet.

CKS Performance make an X-pipe for the secondary Cat and resonator delete BUT, all I've ever read about CKS is bad things so, make your own mind up about that one really.

CKS Performance make an X-pipe for the secondary Cat and resonator delete BUT, all I've ever read about CKS is bad things so, make your own mind up about that one really.

PCS and Imran at MSL (Torqueflow) among other places can both prefabricate a x-pipe. I'd avoid CKS too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom